cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre with no telephone line?

Andrea2006
Grafter

Fibre with no telephone line?

We have a phone line basically just for having originally Asdl back in the day. We have upgraded to fibre some time ago but do you still need the phone line?
My father probably makes a total of 3 calls or so throughout the year, nothing he couldn’t do on a mobile.. I could probably save money on this line rental if it wasn’t required...
7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Fibre with no telephone line?

Sorry, you have to have the telephone line. Even if you don't use the phone the cable between your property and the  fibre street cabinet is part of the phone network.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes that's right.

The only exception is if you have cable broadband, and the government's monopolies and mergers commission must have either fallen asleep or taken some long lunches after they let Richard Branson take control of it all.

Looking forward to my bill going up yet another £3 this year, that will buy Richard a drink on Nekkar Island.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Broadband only FTTC connection is currently on trial in some areas. 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/12/openreach-start-sogea-pilot-and-reveal-standalone-broa...

When it will become freely available, which ISP's will offer it and at what price, is another matter.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

I quote from this link:

NOTE: In the past some have made the mistake of assuming that SOGEA would make such broadband-only connections much cheaper vs broadband + phone bundles, but in reality you still need the copper line rental for broadband and only a tiny amount of the delivery cost sits with the voice (phone) service that goes over the top!

Rather than more fiddling around with this it would be far better if FTTP was rolled out to households wherever practicable. This would get rid of all the FTTC analogue problems such as DLM and all the other bolt on bodges such as G-INP and vectoring (for the fortunate few) that are needed with the current FTTC offering. OK it would cost but I would rather our money was spent on this than irrational new high speed train sets.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @ANDREA thank you for your query.

As our users have advised, you do need an active landline component in order to have broadband service.

The information provided by user @mikelahey is also correct in regards to FTTP connection.

Should you require any further assistance, please do get back in touch with us.

Best Wishes.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

You beat me to it @Baldrick1.

It isn't a well worded document and will raise expectations that will not be delivered on FTTC installations.  It does however offer a fairly quick test bed for the VoIP SOGEA technology which will really come into its own on FTTP?

I'm awaiting our village getting FTTP with passive optical splitters during 2019 - though not holding my breath yet!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Dumbledore, the information I linked to is referring to FTTC not FTTP, please read the article on ISP review.

The SOGEA FTTC product is currently being trialled in some areas by BT Wholesale where a data only FTTC connection is provided over an existing copper pair without a voice service. I appreciate that Plusnet does not currently offer this service, but at some point in the future it may become commercially available.

That said, there is no guarantee that it will be any cheaper than the current FTTC with voice services.

The straight forward answer to the OPs original question, is that they can't currently have an FTTC connection without taking on a voice contract with a communication provider unless they live in one of the pilot areas and they have an ISP which is taking part in the trial.

In the future they may be able to, which is why I included the link to the information on the SOGEA trial.