cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre usage

Psalliss
Grafter

Fibre usage

I got fibre connected about a week ago and on checking my usage I've used 60gb already which seems very high with 12gb beig used off peak last night. This seems way to high bearing in mind I was on nights and not in. Girlfriend was home but asleep around midnight as on an early shift. Can anyone suggest why the usage is this high as I cany think of any reason
12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fibre usage

This could be a number of things, devices updating, streaming TV/video that uses a lot more than expected. For example Netflix's FAQ states between 3GB and 7GB per hour on HD or Ultra HD video.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
thesawdust
Grafter

My usage is crazy and it's just my parents browsing the web. Not sure how plusnet count data usage?
They use 60GB a month roughly just browsin. It's unlimited so I'm not too worried
sjptd
Grafter

The usage count seems all over the place.  Mine says 389MB so far this month which may be right; but it says all of that was used on the first day (26 Jan), which most certainly is not right and doesn't give much confidence.  As you say, as long as you are on unlimited not much problem anyway.
Psalliss
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
This could be a number of things, devices updating, streaming TV/video that uses a lot more than expected. For example Netflix's FAQ states between 3GB and 7GB per hour on HD or Ultra HD video.

Thanks Chris we do use Netflix which I'd understand but as I said the night when 12 go has been used I wasn't in and all my devices update manually and gf was in bed with only device that would update was her phone and there has been no updates. Seems strange
Chris
Legend

I got fibre connected about a week ago and on checking my usage I've used 60gb already which seems very high with 12gb beig used off peak last night.

I've just reread this and the majority of the usage was between 00.01 and 03.00 in the early hours of the 4th, not the evening of the 4th or overnight in to the 5th. Does that fit more with what you'd expect?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Psalliss
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I got fibre connected about a week ago and on checking my usage I've used 60gb already which seems very high with 12gb beig used off peak last night.

I've just reread this and the majority of the usage was between 00.01 and 03.00 in the early hours of the 4th, not the evening of the 4th or overnight in to the 5th. Does that fit more with what you'd expect?

Yes that's correct Thursday after midnight when I was work and gf at home in bed
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Stating the obvious: You have got a pass on your router?!? Maybe a neighbor has used it if not! 
Sounds daft but my wife parents were using an internet connection for months, when I asked how much they were paying they said "nothing" and looked at me confused!!! They thought that the internet was free! It turned out they were hooking up to their neighbours internet as he didn't have a password on it lol.
Have you got any games on the PC that auto update?
Psalliss
Grafter

Passcode on the router and no PCs. I'm wondering if gf has left something downloading on Sky box but she's denies it.
Stoker
Rising Star

Quote from: Psalliss
.... I'm wondering if gf has left something downloading on Sky box but she's denies it.

The Sky box downloads On Demand content overnight automatically (not just programs you've selected, but stuff they push anyway). You can disable this feature but it's on by default.
slavo71
Rising Star

Quote from: Psalliss
I'm wondering if gf has left something downloading on Sky box but she's denies it.

I suggest you move the girlfriend out of the house for a month or two and see if that solves the problem! Wink Tongue
mrunderhill
Grafter

Sorry to butt in.
But I've been with Plus net for 1 month now and my usage is more than double what TalkTalk used  to say that I used.
And my usage hasn't really changed.  I must assume that PN record things differently to TT.
Chris
Legend

I'm not sure how TalkTalk record their usage, however ours counts all upload and download traffic across your connection.