cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upload speed only 2Mbit

bluesky

Fibre upload speed only 2Mbit

Signed up for 13.5Mbit upload, only getting 2Mbit.
My deal as in the members login (as of 23/9/15 when it went live)
THIS IS YOUR CURRENT BROADBAND PACKAGE
Unlimited Fibre (Without Phone)£17.49
per month
Unlimited Usage Allowance
40Mb download speed (estimated)
13.9Mb upload speed (estimated)
You've 17 months left of your 18 contract
On 7 Sept 2015 I decided to upgrade my Plusnet ADSL to fibre broadband. I am particularly interested in the improved upload speed as sometimes I need to upload very large files for work. So, I logged into "MyAccount" selected "change product"  and was presented with the options - I went for the unlimited fibre package, this showed my estimated download speed as 40M and upload of 13.5M (These were the figures shown when I logged into my account) so I clicked to order this. It was installed on the 23 Sept 2015, and the BT engineer said download would be 40 and upload 2Mbit. He said that normally the upload for my line would be around 10M.. So I logged into my plusnet account where it states that upload estimate is 13.5M. (as of 23/9/2015)
I'm not at all happy with this situation, the upload speed is nowhere near the estimate shown in my account on line. I have rung customer services, but it is clear they don't accept  that the upload speed advertised in the members login is 13.5. They say they cant access my members account and refuse to do anything other than put me through to the cancellations department. I don't want to cancel, I want what I signed up for, and indeed the speeds shown in the members login.
Any one else had this problem?
11 REPLIES 11
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre upload speed only 2Mbit

If the BT Wholesale checker shows your "impacted" estimated speed as below 40 mbit, you're put onto the slower profile. One of the PN reps who are active on this forum will have to intervene to manually get you on the higher profile.
axlstod
Grafter

yeah I get that to, very frustrating to be honest.
Unlimited Usage Allowance
40Mb download speed (estimated)
9.9Mb  upload speed (estimated)
You've 23 months left of your 24 contract
Designed for demanding users
can it be altered?
pwatson
Rising Star

Although your line is capable of 10+Mbps upload, the 'Unlimited' 40Mbps download product has the upload capped at 2Mbps.   Plusnet do not sell the 40/10 product.
In order to increase your upload rate you'll need to upgrade to the 'Unlimited Extra' 80/20 product and accept that you're not going to get anywhere near 80Mpbs download.  By default PN do not offer this product for lines that can't support much above 40Mbps down so manual intervention is required to push the upgrade through.
This is an increasingly common complaint by the way...   Roll_eyes
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to save a screen shot of that page showing the faster upload in case Plusnet's fix is to change it to say 2Mbps!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
warpkid
Grafter

I have experienced the same thing when putting an upgrade order through for Fibre.
DSL checker have my upload at between 8 and 12 mpbs and plusnet want to cap it at 1.5mpbs, which seems nonsensical.
I am currently seeing if I can get them to upgrade the profile. Not sure if there will be additional cost for this.
I've been a customer for 7 years and this last few months is the first time I've really not been happy with the service.
bluesky

Thank you for the replies.  Smiley
Just a couple of points, I have taken a screen grab !
PN told me that the 2Mbit upload cap was introduced on 7th August 2015 and before that it was higher.
The thing for me is that selecting "change product"  in My Account showed an upload of 13.5M when I signed up, (that was the only spec I saw on the web site and took it at face value) and still does today - this seems to me to be miss describing the product.
I would like to hear what PN have to say about this.
warpkid, I agree about the service, customer services just brick walled me over this, refusing to acknowledge what their web site stated  in My Account . Please post as to how you progress.

I think just offering a cancellation with penalties for virtually the full 18 month contract term is not acceptable. Please can PN supply the upload rate that was shown on the web site when I signed up.
Plusnet, please will you give your views on this
pwatson
Rising Star

The issue is not what your line is capable of, you have signed up to a product that is capped at 2Mbps...  The text revealed when you hover over the question mark for more details is disingenuous when it refers to estimated speed...

bluesky

The question mark you refer to, is that on https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/ (I'm guessing so)
The page I used was
https://portal.plus.net/apps/account/change/xxxxxxx/Broadband (the xxxxxxx is to obscure my account number)
Try logging in to your account, there is no ? mark here, only the estimated speeds for the customers specific line for each broadband package available.
I've been mis led  Smiley
pwatson
Rising Star

I'm no longer a customer so I haven't got that page to look at.  Nonetheless, your *line* is capable of more throughput, your *chosen product* however is not...
I've been mis led  Smiley

I'm sure PN's view is Caveat Emptor Wink
bluesky

but I chose the product from https://portal.plus.net/a.../change/xxxxxxx/Broadband where it clearly states the up and down speeds for the package on my line, not what the line is capable of. I f you are no longer with them then you obviously cant see what I'm on about. Seeing that info is the whole point. Don't forget that I ordered this some time ago, PN have changed their offerings since I signed up. The page you are looking at is their current offering, not when I ordered, and is not specific to any ones line.
Caveat Emptor, if a company mis describes a product, how does that work, this isn't a second hand car !
But you are right, PN dont want to know.
Why did you leave?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think your next step should be to report them to Trading Standards
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)