Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade

FIXED
Gainas
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fibre upgrade

I upgraded to fibre plus from ordinary fibre in July. Since then apart from twice in the last week when my speed reached 60mbs and 51mbs my speed has remained exactly the same as before the upgrade. Around 40bs upload and 5mbs download. Although I have reported this I have yet to receive a reply.

my next door neighbour (on plusnet) is getting 76mbs and that is why I wanted the upgrade.

I am very disappointed with this situation and would be grateful for some help.

19 REPLIES 19
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Fibre upgrade

How are you testing, wired or WiFi, and what test do you use? What are the sync speeds on your modem/router?

Answering the questions will allow people to give better informed answers.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Gainas

Welcome to the forums.

Given that Plusnet do not offer a guarantee to check every post on this website (they call it a community as most of the advice is given by customers like me), you might want to consider other options.

I hope a member of staff looks at this thread and if they do, it might help if the ticket number was in a post so that they can look at it. You can find the fault ticket number at https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

If you want a guranteeed response then I would suggest contacting Plusnet by Chat or phone details at https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/contact/ and chase them up.

Or there is the Plusnet Twitter help account at https://twitter.com/Plusnethelp but support is only offered during these hours from Mon-Fri 9.00-7.30pm & Sat 9.00-5.00pm 

Edit: to add how to find your fault ticket number

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Gainas
Dabbler

Hi

many thanks for your help.

Gainas
Dabbler

Hi

i am testing wired. I also test on wifi and there is very little difference.

i have used the bt speed test, uswitch, which & okla all of which are almost the same.

i dont know how to do sync speeds on my router. My router is a netgear 6400. I did think this was a modem for fibre which didnt need the extra box supplied by openreach but the engineer says I needed both. My speeds are actually very consistant bur not up to the speeds I should be getting.

help appreciated

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Netgear do two 6400 routers, the D6400 has a built in VDSL modem and combined router, the R6400 is just a router and needs a modem. You can see how to log in here.

Gainas
Dabbler

My router is the D6400 - I have tried putting the DSL line directly into the splitter box which has a VDSL and a phone slot (not in use) but the internet wont connect. What am I doing wrong?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

You will need to configure the router. At the very least set up your username and password.

There are a few threads on here about how to set it up, including this one.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Gainas, your line is in sync at 47mbps which is fairly consistent with your speed estimate.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gainas
Dabbler

Help appreciated with this but I am puzzled why my neighbour is getting 76mbs (plusnet) and my equipment is both newer and better than his!!  Not being bitchy but if he can get 76mbs why cant I?

Gainas
Dabbler

I can log into the router not a problem. The name etc all put in correctly. The only difference that I can see is that I have checked the box saying get the DNS automatically and the two examples you sent show - use these DNS Servers checked in the box?

Put it all down to being a dumb blonde!!  I know only a small amount but obviously not nearly enough.  I thought if the connection didnt have to pass through two boxes it may increase my speed.

Gainas
Dabbler

Hi - I am not that knowledgable about things but I wonder if the Netgear D6400 is in fact a fibre modem.  I cant connect to the internet directly using the D6400 although it states it is a VDSL Modem/Router but I can connect using the BT Openreach modem model 06153 connected to the D6400 via ethernet cable?  I wondered if my speed may improve if the signal only came through one box and not two?

Any help much appreciated.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Gainas

taken from the netgear website http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/d6400.aspx

AC1600

WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit

Get Speed. Save Space.

Enjoy incredibly fast WiFi speeds for the ultimate in performance. This AC1600 DSL modem router provides a fast VDSL modem for fibre broadband and also works with ADSL connections. With an integrated modem and router, you won’t need separate hardware from your service provider. For large homes with up to 10 devices, you'll be able to stream, game and connect with security and reliability.

Model: D6400

So the D6400 can be used on either ADSL or VDSL. so there is no need for any other device, no matter which type of broadband you have. You definitely have FTTC so this device will work by itself .

You may have to contact netgear details can be found from https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D6400

Have you tried to contact the D6400 DSL port (that is the white one on the left side) using the phone cable supplied to the phone socket where the BT modem would normally be plugged in. They should be no need to use the netgear supplied dsl splitter. Just unplug the cable from the BT modem (leaving any filter connected to the socket if you have one)

It might be a help if you can take a photo showing the socket which the BT modem plugs into before hand so we can see how things are currently wired. It is harder to advise when you cannot see Smiley

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Just a thought, but when you try the 6400 on its own, you are using the DSL cable that was plugged into the modem, and the dsl socket on the router, not the WAN port?

Gainas
Dabbler

Hi - yes I take the DSL line out of the BT Modem and put it into the grey DSL Port on the modem.

Is there anything else in the Genie settings that I should be doing?