cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade

gc66
Dabbler

Fibre upgrade

I'm on PlusNet ADSL and just ordered Fibre. Will my router need to be replaced or reconfigured? If reconfigured can that be done even though I've changed the login details?
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fibre upgrade

probably replaced - which router do you have
gc66
Dabbler

Technicolor TG582n
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

you can use that router as it's the same one that plusnet use to give out for Fibre users you will have to update the Firmware to turn LAN port 1 into a WAN port so fibre can work with it so you will be down to just three Lan ports so if all four are currently being used you would have to sacrifice something.
gc66
Dabbler

Thanks, PN have told me that an engineer will visit to upgrade line , I presume this is a BT engineer? , and then the service will pretty much start working straight away. Is this not the case and will I have to change the config on my router?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

You'll be getting a new router which should be with you in a few days. If the throughput speeds aren't changed immediately, just let us know so that we can complete the background work. This would normally be done automatically, but your order was placed manually so additional work might be required.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
gc66
Dabbler

Thanks for clarification on this
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Quote from: plusnettony
You'll be getting a new router which should be with you in a few days......... This would normally be done automatically, but your order was placed manually so additional work might be required.

Without wishing to hi-jack this thread, can I ask whether the replacement Router will be an integrated VDSL Modem/ Router (or are PlusNet still using the BT OpenReach supplied Modem and separate Router)?
Can you also tell me the make and Model of the Router that PlusNet now supply.
A Green Cabinet has appeared on the corner of my street and the BT Checker says that the Exchange is enabled and will be taking orders soon!  Cheesy
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Wheel_nut
can I ask whether the replacement Router will be an integrated VDSL Modem/ Router (or are PlusNet still using the BT OpenReach supplied Modem and separate Router)?

No, BT modem and separate router still.
Quote from: Wheel_nut
Can you also tell me the make and Model of the Router that PlusNet now supply.

Sagem 2704N (referred to as 'Plusnet 2704n' here)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Oh Yuk!  Cry  Angry
Thank you for the reply W23. I was hoping that PlusNet would have adopted the sensible solution of an integrated VDSL Router like the BT Home Hub 5 or the DLINK unit that SKY are now providing. Both of those units as compact and neat and only require One Power Point and no spaghetti, allowing it to be placed at the incoming Master Socket position which is usually in the Hall.
I won't be taking the PlusNet offering unless this changes. My current contract runs ouut in July so I will check again before I jump ship.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

There is nothing stopping you from using your own all in one if you prefer that setup, It wont be changing any time soon BTO still offer the modem so Plusnet will be sticking with that until that changes which i believe is early next year.