Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade - what is the process?

FIXED
Pablo
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Fibre upgrade - what is the process?

Hello all,

I contacted PlusNet about the speed of my connection sometime in November I was told that I was not yet able to upgrade to fibre as it wasn't available from my cabinet at the exchange.

For the last 2 months or so I have logged onto the site and checked the status - today was finally the day that 'Available' was the status that greeted me! Persistence pays off.

I've now gone on to my account and upgrade to fibre, paying £6.99 for the required router. Since then, I have read a number of posts on the forums about people having a number of different issues with following the same process and upgrading from ADSL to Fibre.

So, my question is - what happens now. Can someone from PlusNet shed some light on what actually happens now?

What updates should I (and anyone else upgrading) now see?

What is the usual turnaround for an upgrade from ADSL to Fibre - how long can I/We expect it to take?

What can go wrong? How can I/We stop this from happening, or at least highlight any issues in order to get them fixed.

The number of posts about bad experiences has led me to want to take as pro-active a stance as possible to ensure that things run as smoothly as possible. Hopefully, the response/s to this will also be useful for others choosing to upgrade.

Knowing what the life cycle of the process is should equip myself and others with enough of an understanding that we know when something has gone wrong, or when to chase up an action that hasn't been taken.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre upgrade - what is the process?

Hi Pablo,

Cheers for deciding to upgrade to fibre.

When you requested the upgrade our systems placed an order with our supplier's that's due to complete on 30/1/17, that date is in line with the lead times I'd typically expect for fibre.

A router order has been added to the account and that will dispatch automatically a few days prior to this.

Without wanting to sound negative issues could happen to either of these processes, however we don't expect or anticipate that to be the case, any potential issues with the broadband order I would have expected to have been flagged up by now but that's progressing just fine.

It's a hard one to explain without sounding biassed in saying so but it's worth keeping in mind that the problematic orders mentioned on these forums aren't representative of the many many more which progress without an issue, as this site is a channel for support problem orders tend to get flagged here.

Let me know if you have any other questions

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

On upgrade day from ADSL to Fibre, my line went down for around 1/2 hour. When it came back up I reconfigured my router and it connected and logged into Plusnet.

Not using a Plusnet router I had to manually make some small setting changes to my router.

In your case it should be just plug in and go.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Pablo
Hooked

Seems reasonable enough - thanks for that Strat.

Pablo
Hooked

Thanks for the response adamwalker - I appreciate that things can, and will, go wrong. Fortunately, I've had previous issues dealt with and corrected swiftly.

As for the process, I wanted a better idea of the different steps that occur and the timeframes I/We can expect things to happen in.

I recall the header tabs across the top of the webpage when I was upgrading, with each one showing a different step in the process - select this, confirm that, pay here - that kind of thing.

As the end user, that lets me see what I've done, what I need to do next, and how many other steps there are to complete the process. It's the same kind of visual feedback that you get when going through the checkout process with Amazon or the like.

Thanks for the info, Fingers crossed all goes well and this post simply serves as an insight into what steps happen from the time you click 'upgrade' through to the fibre connection serving me up some internet action Smiley

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I don't want to worry you but I have a problematic order that @adamwalker mentioned, I ordered an upgrade to FTTC on the 21st of November last year, I've been paying for fibre for a couple of months but nothing has happened. The updates from BT regarding the problem have mainly been works of fiction, it would be fixed in December then a definite fix date of 15th Jan. Now the latest is that all the link cables have to be replaced at the exchange and an application for a road closure has been made. I not sure if I believe any of this, I've checked a few of the local cabinets and the are all saying fibre is available and its a very small rural exchange which means the fibre almost certainly goes direct to a larger head end exchange so not sure where these road works are needed. Adam is chasing this up but it looks like it could be many weeks before it's sorted.

Pablo
Hooked

I've now received my router, and an email today telling me that my Product Change is now complete. Grewat, what does that mean?

When I joined PlusNet just a few months back, the whole process was very clear - I got my router, then the text/emails to confirm when things would be happening. This hasn't happened with the fibre upgrade, and kinda just leaves me floating - not knowing whats going on, what's happened so far, what else needs to happen - when it'll be 'done'.

Anyone from PN able to shed some light on this?

The UX of that part of the process seems so much worse than what was experienced as a new customer.

Pablo
Hooked

Fix

Seems I am all upgraded!

I know a lot of people have had issues with the same process, my only criticism can be about the lack of information of the overall process.

As of switching to the new router this afternoon, my connection speed went from about 3Mbps to 35mbps - which is a very nice improvement. 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the update and the feedback Pablo.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team