cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade - speedtest speeds much lower than router/Plusnet stats

LFaulkner
Dabbler

Fibre upgrade - speedtest speeds much lower than router/Plusnet stats

I've been upgraded to 40 Mbps fibre from ADSL today and am using the Plusnet Hub One.
The router gives stats thus d/l 39.06, u/l 1.95
Plusnet's website shows current linespeed 37, estimated linespeed 40 (this may vary between 21 and 21)
BT speedtest, though, gives d/l 23.01, u/l 1.82, ping 35.75.
Could anyone explain. please why I'm only getting just over half of what appears to be the speed  coming to the modem?
6 REPLIES 6
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Fibre upgrade - speedtest speeds much lower than router/Plusnet stats

I would not worry to much about the bt speed test  never has been much good try  www.speedtest.net ; and see what you get
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@lfaulkerner
Are you testing using WIFi or via an Ethernet cable connecting the PC to the router?
If WiFi, then please try using a cable to see if you are getting a higher speed. WiFi speeds are notoriously difficult to speed checker reliably and prone to interference.
Also as the BTW test is the one Plusnet will require to run when logging a fault, I would just keep run that one.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
LFaulkner
Dabbler

"I would not worry to much about the bt speed test  never has been much good try  www.speedtest.net ; and see what you get"
It's similar - u/l 22.75. d/l 1.88
I am using a cable connection.  Do you think a disconnect and reconnect might help?  I was reluctant to do do this as, with ADSL, I know there is a learning period - not sure if it is the same with fibre.
The thing I don't understand is why the router is reporting nearly 40. which I would expect, being only a few yards from the exchange, yet I'm actually getting nor much more than half that.
SpendLessTime
Hero

There is no 10 day learning period for FTTC, so log onto the router press disconnect, wait a few minutes and press connect. Worth a try.
LFaulkner
Dabbler

No joy, I'm afraid.  D/l now 22.92 after reboot.
SpendLessTime
Hero

Well that leaves http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-i-have-a-fault/