Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade process

FIXED
rgilyead
Grafter

Fibre upgrade process

I am mystified by the fibre upgrade process. I got an email about a week ago saying my product change was complete. I understand from other posts here that this is an auto email sent out by the Plusnet systems. However, I haven't received any info at all about delivery of the hub, what wiring is required, and whether an engineer will need to visit to check out the installation. The communication around the upgrade seems vague to say the least. Can anyone enlighten me?

35 REPLIES 35
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Fibre upgrade process

I'm just looking into this for you.

[edit]

It looks like your account has changed over early as the upgrade won't complete until the 27th

It's all external so no engineer has to visit your property.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rgilyead
Grafter

Thanks for that. Have literally just received email confirming hub delivery - was that a coincidence? Still no word on wiring/engineer visit though. How will I know what to plug the hub into? I assume it is not the standard phone line used for ADSL.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That was me ordering it for you Wink

It goes into the same socket as your current router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rgilyead
Grafter

Thanks. So can you just confirm that the new hub plugs into the same telephone line splitter that my current router uses? I was expecting that some other form of cabling might be needed.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Hi Smiley 

To follow on from Matthew's posts, the engineer only does work at the cabinet(green box) as the service you are receiving is Fibre to the Cabinet(FTTC), the Fibre cables connect to the cabinet and from there the normal copper cabling connects to your home, hence the use of your normal socket and filter..

You can start using the Hub One as soon as you receive it however as it will work on both types of service Smiley 

rgilyead
Grafter

OK that's great. Can you direct me to where I can get info on what sort of hub I will be getting? For example, how many LAN ports it has? Thanks.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Fix

I don't have a link with information however I have played around with them a fair bit Smiley 

The "Hub One" is similar to a BT HomeHub 5, it has 2.4Ghz and 5GHz WiFi ranges and 4 Gb ethernet LAN ports on the rear, if you want to know anything more about it, just pop a reply here and I'll get back to you asap

rgilyead
Grafter

Perfect. Thanks for all your help guys. One final remark - it would be great if this sort of info was actually sent to fibre upgraders as a matter of course (apologies if it was and I missed it). From a customer point of view, it is a very mysterious process. Looking forward to faster internet though!

Firion
Hooked

Hello, I'm not sure if i should start a new topic for this but i may have the same problem.

I upgraded from adsl broadband to fibre last week and had an email saying "your broadband product change is now complete". It has been a week since but i'm still on an adsl connection, just wondering if anyone could help me with this?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@Firion You do have the same problem but your upgrade should complete fully on Monday.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Firion
Hooked

That's fantastic, thanks for the prompt reply!

sirrocco
Hooked
Fixes: 1

I have the same problem a email saying my upgrade was complete but still on adsl  speeds even through a wired connection on the new hub sent to me,so wondering if its not completed yet please help as a newbie to fibre  

rgilyead
Grafter

Well I am just a customer but the process seems to consist of:

1. Change the account over to fibre so Plusnet get their money 😉

2. Despatch the new hub if needed

3. Get the customer to set up the hub using ADSL

4. Someone does something clever outside your property to switch over to fibre to the cabinet 

It's only at step 4 that you would see an improvement in speed. The problem is that the communication is poor so that you get an email at stage 1 saying your product change is complete. You then get a vague email at stage 2 to say that your hub should arrive in 3-5 days time. The actual date of stage 4 hasn't yet been made clear to me. 

I think you must be at stage 3. It would be great if Plusnet could communicate all this early on so we knew what to expect.

Any, or all, of the above may be completely wrong buy, hey, I'm just the schmuck paying the bill.

sirrocco
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Yes In a different thread I was told I would go live tomorrow but they have been charging me for fibre since the 6th July ... Go figure!! And it's all open reaches fault apparently 😜