cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade delays?

cowen21

Fibre upgrade delays?

Does anyone have any idea as to whether there is a delay between actually getting a speed increase to match a fibre connection (e.g. the 38Mb plus amount) after receiving a new router and being informed that the order is complete? Unfortunately I don't have spare time to sit on the phone for hours to talk to technical support - it seems fairly obvious that my broadband is still running at the previous standard speed (3Mb), so I'm wondering whether something else needs to happen before the speed actually changes.

Thanks,

Chris

9 REPLIES 9
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Fibre upgrade delays?

@cowen21

Welcome to the forums.

The "order complete" email can be sent out hours, days or weeks before the line is actually upgraded. It isn't linked into the technical system so doesn't really prove that your FTTC upgrade has been completed.

If you are using the Plusnet Hub One then it will reboot when the line is switched from  ADSL to FTTC and connect accordingly.

There maybe a webpage on the Hub One which indicates if you are connected via ADSL or FTTC possible in the Troubleshooting pages. Help guide for the router is at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

You will need a Plusnet member to staff to confirm when your FTTC line is due to complete.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
chrishaddock

I was about to ask the same question, as I'd had the email and connected the new Plusnet Hub One router, but am still getting the same speeds.  Does the upgrade just happen automatically then?

SpendLessTime
Hero

@chrishaddock

Welcome to the forums.

If I was you, I would brave the phone lines and get Plusnet to confirm the date you are supposed to have a live FTTC service. If it is scheduled then it will happen at sometime on the day upto midnight (although it normally happens in normal working hours).

If you have not confirmed the date with Plusnet, you should for peace of mind do so. Do not trust the email which you got when you signed up which had a date on it. Things can change and Plusnet normally do not update you after that initial date is given.

The Plusnet support number is freephone , just put the phone on speaker while you wait. https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/contact/

Customer support

• 0800 432 0200(from within the UK)

7.30am - 10pm, every day

Please have your username and password handy.

chrishaddock

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.  That's good advice, so I will settle down to wait for a reply.  To be fair Plusnet support are very good once you get through to them.

cowen21

Hi,

Thanks for the message and the link to the router guide. I've had an email from Plusnet to say that my upload speed has been upgraded and I've just run a speed test and have verified this. I'm presuming that my download speed will be upgraded soon as well - naturally, that's the one that I'm more interested in!

Chris

SpendLessTime
Hero

@cowen21

I hope Plusnet do increase the download speed automatically. You may need to reboot the router (or better still log onto the router and click disconnect/wait 1 minute/click connect) to get the increase in download stream.

There is a hidden Plusnet webpage which shows your current download speed at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (login required) but it now has 1 caveat. If this next link http://users.plus.net/@gateway/ says that your gateway has the letters "-IR" in itys name then that speed is "largely irrelevant" as Plusnet staff say. I think they mean it does not matter what it says, something else is controlling your speed.

(The gateway is where your router logs into Plusnet and then your traffic exits onto the internet)

cowen21

Wow, super thanks for the links. The first one shows the following about my line speed:

Estimated line speed:40Mb (This may vary between 67.6Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2016-08-25 16:22:30

Current line speed:3.4 Mb

The second Gateway link doesn't appear to have -IR in the name, so hopefully the first info is correct.

I restarted the router after I got the upload message, maybe I'll restart it again and see if it speeds up?!

SpendLessTime
Hero

@cowen21

The current speed can be set by

1. Plusnet staff
  2. or it is supposed to change whenever Openreach send an update

The router does not effect it unfortunately. When the router logs into Plusnet's network that speed is used to limit your download speed at Plusnet's end.

There was 1 extra caveat, if you have bought a static IP address then the speed link can be "largely irrelevant" too.

cowen21

@SpendLessTime

Thanks again for the advice. Hopefully my download speed will be upgraded soon. Only another 2 weeks before it will have been a month when I requested it!