cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade, but still getting DSL speed

spikeymern

Fibre upgrade, but still getting DSL speed

Hiya

Hoping some mods may be online to pick this up. I got my fibre upgraded email confirmation yesterday morning saying everything was complete. I also lost connection on my original router, and the BT wholesale checker now no longer shows an active order in progress on the line (so I can only assume it's complete).

I got the new router and connected it up, which all seemed to go OK. However, on the stats page, I'm still only getting connected at about 3MB down. The upload has increased from about 512 to 1mb. I contacted live chat last night about 9pm and spoke to [CSA Removed], who said they just hadn't changed the cap on their side, so she changed that and told me to reboot the router. I did that but it made no difference. I then did a factory reset for her, but the same result. She said I need to raise a fault ticket, but that's asking me to connect a computer up to the hub and do a dialup test through it which would be hard as I don't have a personal laptop, just a PC which is the other side of the house. Just wondering if someone can check for me and see what's going on? The stats show I'm now connected to VDSL2. Here's the useful bits:

4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 02:27:44
6. Data rate: 989 / 2881
7. Maximum data rate: 989 / 3126
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation: 22.2 / 45.9
10. Signal attenuation: 22.2 / 34.2

Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name removed as per Forum rules.

8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fibre upgrade, but still getting DSL speed

this will need staff help as mods are just customers but according to the stats you are not yet on fibre so something is screwed

guess who needs to get new glasses

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

G993.3 is VDSL2 so the OP is on fibre but with high attenuation so probably a long distance from the FTTC cabinet so it doesn't look good.

@spikeymern What are your estimated speeds from the BT wholesale checker?

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

spikeymern

Yeh the checker says high of 80 and low of 77, with a handback threshold of 71.3, so I'm surprised it's so low and think it's something maybe not set up right somewhere.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

With those estimates you must be very close to the cabinet, so something is wrong with your connection. Does the phone line work OK for making and receiving calls?  Sometimes a single wire can be disconnected and the broadband still works but at a very poor speed. This would stop the phone working so worth checking.

spikeymern

Yeh that's the thing, I'm not close to the exchange (about 2.5km) so I was surprised at the speed estimate...Phone is working fine. Just on live chat with an agent, hopefully get a ticket raised. Starting to wonder if these speed values quoted by BT are faulty in some way and I'm stuck on this speed 😞

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Yeh that's the thing, I'm not close to the exchange

Fibre speed doesn't depend on distance to exchange, it's distance to the cabinet . That is likely MUCH closer than the exchange.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spikeymern

Ah well the cabinet is probably about 500m down the road, maybe less.... 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

My tests are also showing your router in sync at a very slow speed.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 2.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 0.8 Mbps

The fault you reported online has automatically raised a fault with our suppliers. They've been unable to remotely identify the cause of the slow speeds. I'd recommend checking your speeds with the router in the test socket.

If that doesn't help then we'll need to book an engineer visit.

I'll update your fault ticket shortly.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet