Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade, a bit of confusion.

riccardo2
Grafter

Fibre upgrade, a bit of confusion.

Hi all,

I've upgraded yesterday from Fibre to Fibre Extra.

Unlimited Fibre Extra (on 04/08/17 will be activated by midnight

And actually this morning I have

- an email saying "Your broadband product change is now complete".

- In Member center->"account summary" all the steps are marked as passed (including hardware delivery)

But,

- The speed has not changed yet. I've restarted the openreach modem and the companion technicolor router, but still the same. No problem if it takes a while, the important thing is to be sure it's only a matter of time and not a problem.

- In "account summary" the price is different

- Will I receive a new router? No idea because: The operator told me I have nothing to do/change. In the email there is no mention of postal costs and this validate what the operator said. But the order in "Account summary" says "Your hardware has been sent. Order reference: 1ST CLASS". Moreover here on the forum I was told that with the upgrade comes the Hub One. So I'm not sure what to expect.

Not a big problem for me and surely all my doubt will be solved in a few days simply waiting.

This only want to be a feedback. With a few simple adjustments to the info sent by email and in the member center, the customer could feel very much more relaxed. Smiley

Regards

Rik

26 REPLIES 26
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Fibre upgrade, a bit of confusion.

I agree that PlusNet emails and texts tend to be rather confusing and ambiguous. The "product change complete" generally is an account type change for billing purposes, however the actual speed upgrade should happen sometime today (up to midnight).

The account summary page tends to not show any discounts so may look wrong, you will need staff help to check this and the router question, although if you only upgraded yesterday it could be a few days before it arrives.

riccardo2
Grafter

Thanks for your reply.

By the way... is the Hub One package delivered through the letterbox (the typical 4cm hole in the door)?

Animegav
Dabbler

Depending on the situation with cabinet location, line quality etc you might not see any increase in speeds.

Reported a lack of speed to Plusnet myself, went through all the steps, ultimately got sent an Openreach engineer who after testing told me my line's as fast as it ever going to be despite speeds being only a little over the minimum threshold to qualify as adequate for the Fibre Extra service.
riccardo2
Grafter

Depending on the situation with cabinet location, line quality etc you might not see any increase in speeds.

Fortunately that's not my case. I know it because before a contract downgrade this same line with the same hardware was 10mbps faster, so my current 42mbps can rise, at least to the previous 52. And even if the downlink shouldn't improve much because of line limitation (I think the max here is around 60), the uplink (from 9 to 19) should be quite near the contract limit.

Animegav
Dabbler

My upstream is 5-6 Mbps and I'm on Fibre Extra, maximum possible speed from the cabinet is the full 20 with the low at 16.3

I'm obviously nowhere near that
riccardo2
Grafter

This was my status last year: same hardware and with PS.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5483810162

That was the old contract Fibre 38/19 (before they changed it to 52/9... and as you can see I was actually already on 52Roll_eyes ). Basically I've started with 38/19, then became magically 52/19, then they downgraded to 52/9 saying it was an improvement on the 38/19.

And now, that I've upgraded to Fibre 76/19 (and waiting without knowing anything about what's going on)

So, IF/WHEN they actually switch me on Fibre Extra (76/19) I'm quite confident that it will be pretty clear because there are no technical VDSL limitation from house to cabinet.

1) How long does it takes? The operator told me midnight... I thought it was the technical switch date not simply the contract.

2) Will I receive by post the Hub One or not?

I have no idea, and hope to see something before the 14 days... 'cause it's useless to pay fibre extra to have the same of normal fibre.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there and sorry it's taken us a few days to drop you a reply.

The account is on Fibre Extra and everything looks fine. Given the downstream estimate you'll not see much difference there but should on the upstream. Were the tests you did over LAN or WiFi?

As for the router the agent who arranged the deal seems to have forgotten to order that, really sorry, I'm passing on some feedback and ordering that now so it should reach you within the next few days.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
riccardo2
Grafter

I'm passing on some feedback and ordering that now so it should reach you within the next few days.

Thank you,

I've now received an email with confirmation:

Order details
=============
- Plusnet Hub One

What happens next
=================
* We'll email you again to confirm when your order has shipped
* Delivery will take 3-5 working days from dispatch

so that's sorted. Smiley

So the problem now is the speed...

The account is on Fibre Extra and everything looks fine

The upload is currently still 9mbps against the 19 I had before. It's surely a PS imposed limitation, not a VDSL problem.

Are you sure, contract apart, that Fibre Extra is actually active? I'll try to restart the openreach modem to see if it now negotiate a better speed.

Were the tests you did over LAN or WiFi?

LAN

riccardo2
Grafter

Openreach VDSL modem restarted but nothing has changed.

riccardo2
Grafter

Now I've got an email saying:

Hi , It takes 10 working days, we will inform you when it has been activated. thank you for your message and hope you enjoy our faster speeds when it goes live.

OK, so now it's clear I'm not on Fibre Extra yet.

The communication is clearly not a strong point at PS. People has to guess what's going on and could be solved with a couple of email, e.g.

- Your new contract is now active.
What happen next: wait 10 days for the product to be fully operative. In the meantime you're going to receive the hardware. If you don't receive the hardware click this link to let us know.

And finally:

- You product should now be active. In case of problems reply here.

It's also a bit strange that we have 14 days to cancel but the product can be used after 10 (at best) so there is no time left to test how it goes (I don't think will be a problem for me, but just saying).

However, all my question have been asked now.... no... just one more:
is the hub one package delivered throug the letterbox or someone has to be at home?

Thanks everybody!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry about that e-mail response

It looks like the service is still provisioned on 55/10. Sad I've placed an order to modify the circuit now, it should complete tomorrow. Can you let us know how it goes?

As for the router delivery, it may fit through your letterbox, but if it doesn't it'll go to a Royal Mail sorting office and I'd expect the post man to leave the usual card for you to collect it or arrange a re-delivery.

EDIT: Looking back on the order I've placed it looks like the speed profile is set to 55mbps despite requesting 80mbps. Once it completes tomorrow I'll need to replace it. Apologies for the inconvenience.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
riccardo2
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

thanks for your help.

Looking back on the order I've placed it looks like the speed profile is set to 55mbps despite requesting 80mbps. Once it completes tomorrow I'll need to replace it. Apologies for the inconvenience.

No problem. Let me know when the profile is ok.

For any question I'm here.

riccardo2
Grafter

Hi Gandalf.... how is it going with the Fibre Extra profile?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've just placed the order now, and it should complete tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet