Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre unlimited speed halved in the last few days

FIXED
jan
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Fibre unlimited speed halved in the last few days

My estimated speed is 56-71 mbps, with a guaranteed minimum of 50mbps. It has felt slow this week & so today I have performed multiple speed tests & am only getting around 33mbps.  Nothing has changed at our end.

11 REPLIES 11
jan
Rising Star

Re: Fibre unlimited speed halved in the last few days

[url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?test=1641124636462628555][img]https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1641124636462628555-mini.png[/img][/url]

Not sure why TBB site reports my internet as EE Mobile, I'm definitely plugged into the fibre router.

jan
Rising Star

bt-additional-diagnostics.jpgbtavailability-check.jpg

jan
Rising Star

I decided to try a quiet line test.  and there  was definite buzzing / phasing on the line.  I then noticed there were christmas lights running very near the socket - started moving them about & the noise changed.  Switched them off & the line was much quieter.

Have we been training the DSLAM that our line is poor for the last two weeks?

Is there a way to reset it? Will the speed eventually return to what it was now the intereference has been removed?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jan 

As long as the line has not been banded then it will slowly recover. You need to leave it for a week or so and see if it improves.

Plusnet can only request a reset if it has been banded.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jan
Rising Star

Is there a way to tell if it is banded?  I pay for a subscription to play games on a streaming service, my bandwidth is now too low to use my subscription (which is paid up for another 4 months).

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jan 

What you need is a friendly Plusnet staffer to come along and either check or show us the results of a GEA Test.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @jan,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with the connection lately. I've just run a speedtest and whilst I can see the line is banded at 60Mbps, the current downstream sync speed is showing up as 35.6Mbps. Have you still got those Christmas lights setup near the router at the moment, or have they been relocated/taken down? If they're still plugged in or nearby the router, it may be worth removing them from the equation and giving the line a couple of days to see if it gradually returns the usual performance. If at that point it doesn't and the speed is still low, we may need to look at getting an engineer round to take further look.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jan
Rising Star

Hello,

yes I turned off those lights. No improvement in speed so far. I fact this morning I have no connection at all (using mobile tether fr this)

I will put that in a new post though.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @jan and I'm sorry to hear that the connection has gone down. I've had a look over the account and I can see that you've spoken to our Support Team about this earlier today, who have confirmed that there is currently a Mass Service Outage in the area. Current estimates project the fault will be resolved sometime before midnight on the 6th of January. Hopefully this is sorted sooner rather than later, but if there are any delays, just give us a shout and we'll be happy to take a look into this with you Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jan
Rising Star

The connection  is back already & back to my normal speeds,

Cheers.

Jan

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm glad to hear it's already back up and running! If it does go down again at any point today, it may be related to issues in the area, but hopefully it will be back up and running as soon as it has been on this occasion Smiley Just give us a shout if any issues persist and we'll be more than happy to investigate further.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team