cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to fibre extra DLM

BST
Grafter

Fibre to fibre extra DLM

Hi, i was upgraded to fibre extra on the 30th and at first my speeds were exactly the same as standard fibre and i was getting 38mb download speed.
So i rebooted the modem and router and my speed increased to 50 - 51mb and has stayed at that speed since then.
My stats show Estimated line speed:62Mb
Current line speed:52.8 Mb
Is my profile likely to change or will this be the maximum i can get.
I read so many different versions about DLM i never know quite what to believe.
Thanks  Smiley
EDIT: just been told that nighbours on the same row as us and the one across the road both get 70+ so i would expect to get quite a bit more than 50 - 51mb.
19 REPLIES 19
BST
Grafter

Re: Fibre to fibre extra DLM

Hi is my line speed likely to increase at all, i`m still stuck at the same line speed and sync and i assumed that DLM would maybe try and reconnect in the small hours.
As i said in the post above two neighbours get 70+ speed so i would expect to be getting higher speeds than i am.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I'm just running a few tests.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
BST
Grafter

Thanks Matthew  Smiley
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just to confirm was the install done by a Openreach engineer or a contractor?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
BST
Grafter

This was an upgrade from fibre 40/20 to fibre extra, the chap i spoke to at Plusnet said no one would need to be called out for this it would just need a signal to be sent out.
The original install last year was done by an Openreach engineer.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Okay sorry just got my wires crossed.
Our testing isn't finding a fault and the speeds are below the estimates but not by much so we wouldn't be able to get our suppliers to accept this as a fault I'm afraid.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
BST
Grafter

Ok thanks Matthew, it just seemed strange that i am getting speeds a lot slower than a couple of neighbours are.
So i guess there is no chace of DLM improving my speed anytime?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unfortunately your current profile is "0.128M-74M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-19M Upstream, Error Protection Off" so your sync speed isn't being restricted by that.
We could push for a engineer but I wouldn't be able to guarantee any improvement.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
BST
Grafter

OK then thanks for investigating Matthew  Smiley
I was tempted to try rebooting to see if i would sync any higher but i did`nt want to risk it flagging a fault on the line and making things worse, thanks again  Smiley
artfulbodger
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BST, one controlled re-sync (reboot) should not affect things adversely. Make sure you log off your router first (i.e. shut down the Plusnet connection from within the router), then switch off the modem at the mains. Leave switched off for at least 30 minutes, so DLM recognises it as a controlled shutdown rather than some sort of sudden glitch on the line. Switch modem back on, log back onto Plusnet internally via the router and hopefully (fingers crossed!) it's raised the sync. Best to do this early in the morning, but I've found late afternoon (around 5pm) is good for me, some how.
Let us know how you get on.
BST
Grafter

Thanks, do i turn the modem off as well as the router?
I`ll give this a go in the morning and post results later on  Smiley
dick:quote
artfulbodger
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You will need to turn off your modem, but only after you've logged off your Plusnet session on the router.
Good luck. Chances are the sync may not improve much, and might go down 1% or so. But I think with all these things you've got to try at least once and see where it takes you. After that then just remember the old adage "if it ain't completely broken ... etc" and leave well alone.
Look forward to hearing what happens tomorrow morning ...
BST
Grafter

Great thanks again,  I'll be sure to post the results as soon as I'm done tomorrow.
BST
Grafter

Hi, I`ve had it confirmed tonight that two of my neighbours are both still getting 70+ speed compared to my 50 - 51.
The neighbour who lives across the road is also with Plusnet so there is definately something wrong at my end.
As i said earlier when i was switched over from 40 / 20 to 76 / 20 my speeds were still at 38mb until i rebooted my router and modem where they synced at just over 50mb.
I have rebooted again but my IP profiles stays virtually the same accoring to speedtest.btwholesale.com with no errors so i dont know if my line maybe just needs a line reset.
Can someone look into this for me please.
Thanks  Smiley