cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to Fibre Extra

AdrianP
Hooked

Fibre to Fibre Extra

I went through the upgrade process for moving from Fibre Unlimited to Fibre Unlimited Extra. Payment was taken for delivery of the new router, and I got an email to say that the upgrade would happen next day. I then got a second email to say that there was a problem, but I've heard nothing since and haven't received either the upgraded speeds or my new router. Online chat isn't working and I've tried to phone but end up on hold. Is there any other way of getting hold of someone that can look at my order?

19 REPLIES 19
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Re: Fibre to Fibre Extra

@AdrianP I went from PN Fibre Unlimited to PN Fibre Unlimited Extra and the process did not include a new router.  PN just allow more data flow and uncap the limits.

I suggest you do a BT speed test https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  and do the additional diagnostics and see what your gateway allows and limits Wink

See...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-and-Fibre-Extra-differences/td-p/1149225

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@AdrianP when you do your speed test, ensure it is wired as this is what I get  wired and wifi

WIFI laptop pc windows 10WIFI laptop pc windows 10WIRED desktop pc windows 10WIRED desktop pc windows 10

AdrianP
Hooked

@Leapy @Thanks for your thoughts. It was Plusnet that said I needed a new router, and they’ve taken a delivery fee so I still want to know where it is. If it’s not needed then I’ll happily have a refund.

I’ve been using a different speed test app, but I’ll try the BT site from my laptop and on a wired connection as you say. If I can’t get full speed on wireless then the service isn’t fit for purpose as all of my devices operate wirelessly around the house, but I’ll test wired first.

AdrianP
Hooked

BBST.PNG

I've run the speed test on a cabled connection. It doesn't look like the 58Mbps that the service agreement refers to.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Have you checked what speeds your line is capable of on the dsl checker?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

AdrianP
Hooked

Thanks Mustrum. I've been a Plusnet customer for years, and transferred my connection to the current house a few years back so when they offered Fibre Extra I assumed that it wouldn't go through if it wasn't available to me. They already provided my BB so should have tested the line capability before agreeing to deliver a Fibre Extra service.

I've checked the line capability using your very useful link and it's giving a low downstream rate of 69.8Mbps. Is that the right number to be looking at? If so I ought to be getting more than the 20-30Mbps that I get at the moment.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

If you post the full table of information people should be able to help more.

Are sure you hide your phone number.

AdrianP
Hooked

BB line test.png

This is the full table. The last test date is of interest as that's about the date that I placed my order.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Well it shows the upgrade did go through, but your sync speed is quite low.

If you have  Hub 1, you should log in, find the advanced tab, troubleshooting tab, then Help desk and note the synch and attainable speeds.

Locate the hidden test socket, by removing the two screws on the master socket and repeat the process. Are the results better or the same?

Finally, with a corded phone, dial 17070 option 2: is the line quiet?

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Mustrum How quiet is quiet on 17070? Dialing tone, static hiss or total silence? 

When I went over to PN Extra, my cabled down speed  went from 20 to around 30 (subject to time of day), but the up has remained below 10 as per the chart, I just did.

PNextra.jpg

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Leapy  It should be totally quiet - any noise is likely to lead to a reduction in broadband speed.

On your DSL checker, the Max observed speeds show that it is pointless going to Extra as the speeds are under 40/10.

You line is cable of a lot more, so you should be going through the diagnostics to help diagnose your issue.

AdrianP
Hooked

@Mustrum I've run the quiet line check and there's a bit of background static, which might be dropping line speed a little bit. That ought to be something that can be fixed as the cabinet is only a short distance away so there's no real excuse for loss on the line.

I've now managed to get hold of Plusnet support - only had to wait 20 minutes to get through today. I spoke to tech support who almost immediately put me on hold, raised a support call against my account to say that my extra service hadn't been provisioned properly, and then left me on hold until I eventually hung up. Hopefully someone else will pick up the ticket soon and work out why the provisioning didn't go through properly.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@AdrianP  sorry, but as I mentioned above, the upgrade has gone through, but the quality of the line is limiting your speeds.

If your luck continues, they will mess around again for a few days before declaring the upgrade is OK.

They need to investigate the noise on the line, and get the right kind of OR engineer out to investigate.. If they report a broadband fault they won't get to the bottom of the problem and go round in circles some more. It needs treating as a voice fault to start with to find out the source of the noise.

HTH 

EDIT before all that, did you do the checks with the test socket?

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Mustrum wrote:

EDIT before all that, did you do the checks with the test socket?

Test socket with a micro-filter I presume?

On that matter, if you have phone extensions both wired and cordless do they all need micro-filters (including cordless ones)?