cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to Fibre Extra - How long does this take to do?

FIXED
Riddix
Hooked

Fibre to Fibre Extra - How long does this take to do?

I upgraded from Broadband Fibre to Fibre Extra over a week ago. Customer services give me dates that come and go, but I’m still not seeing any difference in speed (37mbs as usual). 

Is it normal to wait this long for the speed to change? Do I keep calling and asking or should I cancel? 

I’ve rebooted my equipment (daily since ordering the upgrade). I’ve phoned them twice and they seem to think it should have been done by now but they can see that it hasn’t.

Not sure what to do next, but want to cancel before the 14 day period to cancel runs out. 

Thanks for any advice! 

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Fibre to Fibre Extra - How long does this take to do?

Thanks for getting in touch @Riddix

I'm sorry for the delay with your fibre extra upgrade order. 

I've manually processed this for you now and you should see a speed increase tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Riddix
Hooked

Thanks for looking at this for me @Gandalf 

There is still no difference to my broadband speed today (I even got up at 06:30 to turn everything off and on again before anyone in the house needed to use the internet). 

My account still doesn’t show any change to Broadband Extra either.

Should I call up and cancel the contract for the upgrade before I’m locked in for 2 years as I’m not you can supply the it? I first requested this 24/6/20.

thanks again.

Riddix
Hooked

Thanks @Gandalf - this became active at 07:34, after the above post.

This now seems to work! 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Riddix 

Glad to see that's gone through now although your speed's barely over 40mbps.

Our tests are showing a high resistance fault which is generally caused by wiring or equipment. Are you still using the Openreach modem and Technicolor router setup in to the master telephone socket?

If that's the case I'd like to send you newer hardware (the Hub One which is a modem router combined).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Riddix
Hooked

Thanks again for looking at this for me @Gandalf 

Yes, I have an Openreach modem then Technicolor router. I don’t use the Technicolor router though - instead I use a dedicated PFSense Firewall/Router. 
happy to upgrade this setup if it helps with speed. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, I'm sending you a Hub One you should receive next week which should rule out any issues with the Openreach modem and/or your own router. If there's no increase I'd recommend plugging the router into the test socket, found behind the faceplate of the master (explained Here).

If that doesn't yield an increase I'd advise reporting a fault at http://faults.plus.net so we can look at arranging an engineer.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Riddix
Hooked

Thanks for this @Gandalf 

Strangely, since this morning (Saturday 4th), my speed has gone down to around 20 Mbs (download) and 3 Mbs (Upload). No changes to hardware or configuration at my end. 

We’ve never had a problem with Plusnet before.its just always worked and been reliable. I wish I hadn’t tried to upgrade now! 🙂 

Riddix
Hooked

Hello again @Gandalf 

The new Plusnet Router arrived as promised - thank you.

Unfortunately, with only the router connected to the BT (MK3) master socket, it wasn’t able to connect at all to Broadband (continuous flashing red ‘b’). After 30 minutes I gave up and reverted back to the BT Openreach modem which did connect again, albeit at the lower speed that I’ve had since Saturday. Today I have just 10Mbs download speed and between 1 and 2 Mbs upload - making working from home challenging.

I should probably mention that on Saturday morning (4/7/20) when the speed seemed to drop, there was an Openreach van parked outside installing a new line for a neighbour. 
Are you able to help me to resolve this? Could something have been changed elsewhere?

thanks

Murray

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi Murray thanks for your time on the phone, it was good to speak with you.

I'm sorry for the issues with your connection. As discussed I've booked an engineer to investigate further and I've added details of the appointment on to a support ticket you can view and respond to by going Here.

I'll follow things up with you after the visit and fingers crossed that's all sorted for you then.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Riddix
Hooked

Hi Anoush, @Gandalf 

I just wanted to update you. The connection seems to be ok now. The Openreach engineer came this morning and, as we suspected, found that the outside cable had been damaged by our neighbours installation of broadband at the weekend. Apparently our cable had be trapped and damaged when the cover was put back on the junction box at the top of the telegraph pole. 
Thank you for all your help with this and for following this up. Great customer service! 

Kind regards

Murray

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Murray thanks for the post back.

Awesome, I'm glad to see that your broadband's performing a lot better and up to full speed after the engineer's efforts to fix the damaged cabling. I've increased the speed profile on your account to match the new speed your router's now getting. If you can reboot your router, you should see a higher download speed after (if you aren't already). Cheers Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet