cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre throughput capped?

jpl

Fibre throughput capped?

I am on the full speed fibre service.  Until very recently I was getting 56Mbit/s down, as reported by Speedtest and the BT Wholesale Speed checker.  It has suddenly dropped to 50Mbit/s - quite consistently.  My Vigor 130 modem shows it still syncing at 59 Mbit/s.  The BT Wholesale test just now reported 50.64 Mbit/s throughput with an IP profile of 54.67.  This is all on gigabit ethernet into the Netgear router.

It seems that something has started holding my speed down to 50Mbilt/s.  This speed is consistent at any time of the day or night.  I can provide the Vigor 130 stats if necessary.

Upstream is syncing at just under 10Mbit/s and actual throughput is consistent with this.  However, a few times in the past, the upstream has jumped up to over 15 Mbit/s for a while (days) before dropping back to 10 as if something is holding that back too.  IP Profile is reported as 20.

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Fibre throughput capped?

Hi there, firstly welcome to our community forums.

It looks like the profile on your account is restricting your throughput at a max of 52mbps. This should automatically update whenever the IP profile/sync rate of the line changes however it looks like it's a bit slow to update on this occasion.

I've nudged it up to 56mbps now, could you disconnect and reconnect the PPP session in your router interface (or reboot your router) letting us know how your speeds look afterwards?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jpl

Thanks,  I stopped the session and reconnected.  The throughput has nudged up to 53Mbit/s on Speedtest and 52 on the BTW performance test.  But the IP profile is still sitting at 54.67, even though the sync is (presumably) still 59.  

One example of how it used to be, a while back, was throughput 55.57 with IP Profile 58.01. It was consistently around 56 until I noticed the change.

When this problem first started, on 28 April, the BTW Performance test it showed througput 50.16 and IP Profile 52.72. I did try going back to the Openreach HG612 modem, but it made no difference.  The IP Profile has nudged up a bit since then.

Anything more I can try to kick it back up?  Or should I just, leave it alone, and sit and hope for the time being? 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @jpl

From what we can see your current sync speed is 56.5mbps and your profile is 56.3mbps.

Can you carry out another BTW speed test and advise what the profile is showing as?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jpl

That's not what I'm seeing.  Sync at 59, and throughput ~52, IP Profile still reported as 54.67.

See the attached PDF file showing what the VDSL modem is telling me, and a copy of BTW Performance checker results page.

The Netgear router has QoS and traffic monitoring off.

NTE5 VDSL splitter > Draytek Vigor 130 modem > Netgear WNDR3700 router.

While I was checking the line parameters I had to drop the session to access the modem direct.  Everything seemed to come back up the same.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It's odd but I'm not sure there's much more we can suggest I'm afraid.

If your sync rate is at 59mbps then I'd expect a throughput of around 52mbps however I understand you've had higher in the past. Unfortunately as your speeds are within expectations and above your speed estimates, we'd struggle to raise a fault to our suppliers to investigate this. I'd recommend keeping an eye on it and let us know if your speeds drop further.

Perhaps one suggestion could be to try the modem and router we supplied to see if that yields a different result.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet