Fibre speeds

FIXED
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Fibre speeds

Thanks for your post, @Ron84.

We're sorry to hear of these speed issues.

On checking the line, we're detecting a potential bridge tap, which is essentially an unterminated bit of cable that can cause a fair few issues in communications lines.

We'd firstly recommend setting the connection into the test socket to see if this removes the bridge tap from the equation and to also see if the speeds increase. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Please let us know how it goes.

Ron84

I conducted the test directly from the test socket as advised. This showed no change to download speed and removes a bridge tap from the equation. However, following the test, my download speed has fallen even further to 14.64 Mbps, a long way from the rock solid 33 Mbps I am used to (FTTC).  

I suspect it's not relevant, but smartmeters were installed over this time period. Next steps?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Ron84

Assuming that those test results were achieved via a wired connection (rather than wifi), the next step would be to raise a fault here so that we can ask our suppliers to investigate this for you further.

Best wishes

Dave

mike360
Grafter

hello i was wondering if plusnet can do some tests on my line please or see if there anything wrong still not happy with the speeds im getting i know yesterday i said it maybe my WiFi adaptor on my PC but iv been doing some speeds tests on my phone when im right next to the router and im getting poor speeds, changing channel doesn't seems to help and my router is already connected to the test socket. thanks

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey there @mike360,

Thanks for reaching out to us here.

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your speed and I apologise for the frustration caused.

What speeds are you seeing over the test? I would advise getting a device connected via Ethernet & testing while you are connected to the test socket and let us know the results.

Thanks.

mike360
Grafter

@Mads I'm normally seeing 70+ that's over WiFi but recently I'm seeing 40+ sadly I can't test a wired connection as my pc is up stairs and router is down stairs. If you go on page 1 I have my router stats.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @mike360

It may be that something has been introduced in your property or around your property which could be causing wireless interference.

I'd recommend downloading a WiFi analyser app to see what wireless channel is best in your area and then change the wireless channel in yout router to that one.

Let us know how you get on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mike360
Grafter

ive plugged in my old router plusnet hub and the speeds are still same 40+Mbps via WiFi can you GEA test thingy please, also this router needs a firmware update if there is one. thanks

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @mike360

GEA test for your service here. It shows you as being in sync at just under 75mb/s.

Could you let us know which firmware version you're currently running so that we can check if you're on the latest version?

Best wishes

Dave