Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds

FIXED
PaulD2
Fixes: 1

Fibre speeds

Hi, we've had our ADSL switched over to Unlimited Business Fibre today. Download speed it excellent, 72Mb/s, but upload speed is not what I expected, getting about 3.4Mb/s. The stats from the router are:

6. Data rate: 20000 / 80000

7. Maximum data rate: 31314 / 101679

8. Noise margin: 12.5 / 8.0

9. Line attenuation: 4.2 / 4.3

10. Signal attenuation: 4.0 / 4.3

So, showing an upload connection of 20Mb/s (ish). My main question is: Is there another profile that determines the upload/download speeds that are seen?

The router hasn't disconnected at all since the line was switched over early this morning. Is it likely to just sort itself out over the next couple of days, or is there something I need to do! 

The speed test I have run is using speedtest-cli on Ubuntu (I haven't been able to get to the building in person, so running remotely on a server that is on site!).

Thanks

Paul

23 REPLIES 23
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Fibre speeds

@PaulD2  there is an additional profile ( plusnet line speed ) which can control the download speed if you have a static ip but afaik there is nothing that limits upstream.

Speed testers can sometimes give misleading results. Have you tried the bt wholesale speed tester http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ run from the remote server?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PaulD2

There is a static ip on our connection, so maybe related...

I haven't tried the BT speedtester as I only have access to a linux machine on site, nothing to get a browser up on... and our VPN configuration doesn't route all traffic, just local. In any case, a speed test via VPN would give very odd results! I'm going to try out some more tests when I am actually on site later. 

I tried the speedtest-cli from another Plusnet connection, which gave results more like I was expecting! The 3.4Mb/s upload is a very consistent figure for today.

Thanks

Paul 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @PaulD2, thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry for the issues you're having with the upload.

I've tested your line and the sync speeds are matching what your router is showing (80/20). I'm afraid that there's nothing on our side that would be affecting the upload.

If you are able to test the speed directly from the property, please do get back to us if the results are similar so that we can investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
PaulD2

Thanks for the reply. I think that it is probably either the speedtest-cli giving misleading results, or the upload speed has resolved itself. I have just tried a more manual test of copying a large file and seeing how long it too... 700MB in 5min15secs, which I reckon gives an upload speed of 2.2MB/s which is pretty much 17Mbits/s which is what I would expect! I'll run some more tests later and see what I get!

Thanks

Paul

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

No worries @PaulD2, let us know how you get on and if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

mike360
Grafter

Can you look at my speed please my router is showing this...

Current Rate(kbps) 10719 78549
Max Rate(kbps) 10719 79720
SNR Margin(dB) 6.1 3.3
Line Attenuation(dB) 33.1 14.7
Errors(pkts) 0 0

but im only getting 40Mbps. thanks 

PaulD2

Fix

Thanks for all the help everyone. Turns out it was just speedtest-cli being stupid! When I tested locally, even just using my phone on wifi I was getting 72 down and 18 up.... but just after running speedtest-cli it still came up with 3.4 up... so can't be trusted! Odd, because it gives the correct figure for down, and also works out from another PN fibre line where it gets up and down correct!

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @mike360,

Thanks for getting in touch, I appreciate the reported speed may be causing you some frustration. Please accept my apologies for any issues this is causing you.

I have checked your broadband speed today via Openreach systems, these show a very good higher rate for your landline and postcode at 74.6 Mbps downstream and10.7 Mbps upstream, these speeds are much higher than your reported average.

In view of this the problem is likely to be internal. I'd connect you device via an Ethernet router if you're not already doing so, and then advise the following checks for your Wi-Fi speed as well as connecting to the test socket, as follows:

Wi-Fi

Access the test socket by removing the master socket faceplate

Ensure your ADSL microfilter is plugged into the test socket beneath the faceplate (there should be a spare one in the router box). The router should then be plugged into the ADSL microfilter socket.

If you need any assistance with any of the information above, please do not hesitate to come back to me or alternatively you can call our Technical Support Team on 0800 432 0200, between 07:30 to 22:00 daily.

You can also contact us via the Live Chat on our website (note that this will require your browser to allow pop-up windows and is subject to agent availability at peak times):

Thanks - LF

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @PaulD2,

I'm glad you managed to get to the bottom of it, so thanks for getting back to us.

If you have any further queries, do come back to us.

Thanks - LF

mike360
Grafter

@LordFoul thanks for replying i cant connect my PC via Ethernet as its upstairs and my router is in the living room but my router is plugged in the test socket. thanks   

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @mike360,

Thanks for getting back to us, I appreciate you advising so.

Any speedtest run via Wi-Fi would be subject to a number of factors such as the layout of your property, the distance from your router and device, interference from other Wi-Fi routers in your neighborhood, as well as strong electrical interference such as certain types of lighting, for instance.

As the Openreach diagnostic tests did not report any faults or issues with your line, the issue will most likely be local. As well as the troubleshooting advice given earlier you can also split the Wi-Fi frequency to allow better device and Wi-Fi range management, and set a particular channel for your Wi-Fi to broadcast on, if there is any local interference from other routers. I'd suggest leaving your default devices on the faster 5GHz frequency, and leaving the 2.4 GHz frequency for devices furthest away from the router. The router channels will require a trial and error approach,a s each channel needs to be tested for a few hours before you can see whether it has improved the situation.

I hope this helps..

Thanks - LF

mike360
Grafter

@LordFoul I think the problem is my PC WiFi adaptor my brother brought round his macbook (No Ethernet port) and we did some tests over Wifi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and on both frequency im getting 66Mbps download and 10Mbps Upload tried different speed test websites and the results are the same. The PC WiFi adaptor doesn't support 5Ghz. thanks

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think you've found the issue, @mike360. I'm not sure about the powerline adaptor, it does sound like you need to look into the different types out there.

Thanks - LF

Ron84

I have Unlimited Fibre Extra. I recently received a very nice K3N2 router. I checked my download speed: 33mbps, the same very stable speed I enjoyed with my previous router. Everything was ok until a few days later when I noticed some line drops, each taking a minute or so to recover. This suspicious activity prompted me to re-check my line speed. It had fallen from 33 mbps to 28 mbps. I telephoned Plusnet who spent a long time trying to resolve the issue without success. Indeed, as a result of their efforts, my line speed has now fallen further from 28 mbps to only 23 mbps. Can somebody please check this out? Thanks.