Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds very slow in evening!!

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Fibre speeds very slow in evening!!

@0rangecake

There seems to be a pattern here as a number of consumers are experience same symptoms sync's ok, gea passes, nothing wrong with the vlan, backhaul is sufficient for the traffic, speed tests ok until the evening, then slow from about 18:00 to 00:00

We then get advised to do all the usual tests, get an engineer out, but then what?

Nobody so far has posted if it is solved after the visit on a continual basis.

Is it dslam congestion.

Is it plusnets equipment in the exchange.

Is it the backhaul.

Anybody got any ideas?

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@MatthewWheeler 

Hi

Please can you elaborate on the wider issue.

Thanks

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @dws1900

The OP's account has some infrastructure work performed at their local exchange, a few weeks ago, which appears to have resolved the issue.

If this isn't a similar story for yourself (or anyone else) please let us know and we'll investigate accordingly.

Best wishes

Dave

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@RandallFlagg 

There is a drop in speed, every evening, but the line statistics are fine.

See attached.

Alucidnation
Rising Star

sorry to hijack but what are you using to get those stats and graphs etc?
dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@Alucidnation 

A combination of snmp, collectd, python, telegraf, influxdb, postgresql and grafana (may be not all, there are other graphs for other stats and I cannot exactly remember what does what!!)

The modem supplies the vdsl stats, speedtest & cron do the speed tests.

modem stats

modem ---> (snmp) --- telegraf ---- influxdb --- grafana

speed tests

speedtest ---> file (csv) --- python --- postgresql --- grafana

All open source, running on debian stretch.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

PN have to check SVLAN for any evening congestion to try move to different network as possible to avoid evening slow speed.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@goldenfibre 

PN have informed me that there is no issue with the VLAN or backhaul.

I have actually spoken to an OR engineer, he says this is not unusual, and its may be PN's equipment in the exchange, however, I do not know how many PN customers are in my locality, there are from looking at the wifi, quite a lot of BT and a few SKY.

I do not know if PN have their own equipment in the exchange, or that they use BT's.

In addition OR added a box on the side to add another 128 lines on to the cabinet (I actually spoke to the OR engineer installing this modification)

Logically if the VLAN, backhaul and line are ok, that leaves the dslam or PN equipment as the possible problem.

In addition, I started with PN in September 2018, and the initial GEA's were good, now while the speed  is ok out of the evening zone, all subsequent GEA's are showing crosstalk.

The dslam is too close to the exchange, hence the speed, other properties in the street are on a close one and enjoy better speeds, though they may be getting congested.

At least two neighbours use the internet for tv (bt provided) which also suggests congestion.

In the morning hours I have loaded 50Gb files, the system ran flat-out for 6 hours, no problems.

My monitoring only commenced in November 2018 so I cannot determine if the congestion issue was present then.

The monitoring system is directly connected to the modem, no wifi involved.

Looking at this forum, there are increasing posts where people have the same issue, direct connection, not wifi, sync speed is ok so no recourse, engineer finds no issues,

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hji @dws1900

I'm afraid that, at the moment, all we can advise is that you please monitor your connection, if the fault continues then we would need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further. 

Apologies that I can't be of more help as it stands. 

- MoR

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@MasterOfReality 

When the engineer visits, finds no fault, then what?

Note the table attached in my message show speed tests slow in the evening, my lan/wan traffic is low (usually relaxing and watching non-internet tv. ie satellite/terrestrial)

This is a regular occurrence. A GEA was done in the evening, no issues apart from the crosstalk.

Question, would crosstalk show up in either the snr or error stats?

Then magically, after midnight I get my 21Mbs back and have pulled down very large files, no problem.

Question, why does it come back up in speed, Answer, bedtime?

I am reluctant to allow an engineer to attend as people on this site have reported a worse speed after the visit, but still within the contracted value. My vdsl is on the cusp for cross over to adsl re speed/cost.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@dws1900 I do remember a long way back when Plusnet has a serious issues with evening off peaks with very slow speed and nothing was fixed for many months before they finally found the fault and fixed it. I can't remember if they were added more capacity in their gateway or network upgraded cos it was a long while back. I seem can't find it in the form of when was the last time with load of customers posted speedtest with slow speed until midnight every nights. Maybe someone who does remember it will find it here somewhere in the forum.

I will check my speedtest this evebing to see if the speed has gone down or not. Will posted back. But at the moment there is no speed issues on my side.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@goldenfibre 

Hi

yes I read a report published last year

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/04/peak-time-congestion-hits-hardest-for-broadband-isp-pl...

where PN were the worst for evening throughput.

Methinks that with all the adverts maybe they have more consumers than they can handle.

Of course in about a year the leaving of customers may probably occur  for another isp (for example the number of BT wifi's that popped up after the infamous 'most powerful router' adverts occurred was telling), and maybe the situation will improve.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I found it. Last time Network issues with gateway of evening slow speed back in 2014

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Any-capacity-issues/td-p/1188335

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

Hum...

Host Loss%
foo.bar 0.0%
A.router 0.0%
Huh  
133.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk 89.2%
132.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk 0.0%
195.99.125.144 0.0%
peer7-et-3-1-7.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net 0.0%
peer5-te0-9-0-32.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net 0.0%
bbc.co.uk 0.0%

Comments requested, this is an MTR output, tonight, 03-mar-2019 19:40, stable line, no wifi, no tv (disconnected),