cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds slow in evenings

demon14
Grafter

Fibre speeds slow in evenings

Hi I have been experiencing slow speeds in the evening ~19:00-22:00 from usual ~55-60MB/s down to ~7MB/s

The line currently synchronises at ~60MBs as confirmed by logging into the modem this does not drop.

I raised a ticket for this in April this was closed as the symptoms disappeared with no corrective action being taken.

The fault has now returned, I raised a new ticket on Sunday 12th May (Question 190094183) ,but have not yet had a response.

How long do i have to wait for this ticket to be acknowledged and resolved?

Thanks

Tim

20 REPLIES 20
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre speeds slow in evenings

Hi Tim, 

Cheers for posting and I'm sorry to see that you're having some problems with connection speeds. 

I've just been testing your line and we're picking up on a potential fault (A high resistance cable joint). I've just added a response to the ticket for you here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=190094183

Feel free to give me a heads up here when you've responded.

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
demon14
Grafter

Hi Adam

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly after my post on saturday.

You suggested that an engineer visit, however i have noticed that i have an external NTE5 master example on this page. https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm

I also incorrectly installed another master socket inside the house y 2 years ago (didn't realise the property had an external master socket)

I would like to remove this internal Master socket and replace with a standard slave socket.

Could you then reset my line on wednesday (22/05) and retest to see if this resolves the issue?

I am monitoring line status and my synchronisation speed is still dropping, now at ~54MB.

Thanks

Tim

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

No problem @demon14 - I'll keep an eye on this and reset/retest the line for you tomorrow as discussed.

Best wishes

Dave

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@demon14 wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly after my post on saturday.

You suggested that an engineer visit, however i have noticed that i have an external NTE5 master example on this page. https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm

You may discover that an engineer visit will recommend replacing that external NTE! They have not been fitted for some time now because of a number of incompatibility issues with FTTP / FTTC instalations.  See https://www.btplc.com/SINet/sins/pdf/470v3p0.pdf for up to date info. (April 2018)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

demon14
Grafter

Thanks Maurice, I will bear that in mind, when the engineer does visit.

I'm getting some "interesting" SNR margin graphed data from DSL stats, seems my dsl margin drops fairly regularly the interval always seems to be ~2mins 22 seconds.

I'm trying to source an old AM/MW radio to check for interference, however any suggestions would be welcome.

SNRMargin-2019-05-21-20.48.06.png

demon14
Grafter

Hi @RandallFlagg I have been unable to remove the internal master socket as I do not have a spare cable to go from the BT socket to the modem (rj11) i have ordered one due friday, but will be away the weekend.

As @adamwalker suggested I would like to book an engineer to visit in the future, I will respond to the ticket.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Given your original parameters of slowdown between the times you quote suggest that there may be 'Hot SVLAN' causing the congestion?  It's a fairly quick thing for Plusnet to check.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for providing your availability @demon14

I've booked this in for you and updated the ticket accordingly.

Best wishes

Dave

demon14
Grafter

Managed to get a phone to plug into the line and no dial tone Shocked, so I'm a little confused how the VDSL (FTTC) is still synching at ~54MB.

See what the engineer makes of it.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @demon14

A standalone test on your phone line is showing an external fault known as a "Dis in network" fault. Wherever this is the cause of your issue or not is hard to tell but after the engineer goes out we should know more for certain

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@demon14 

The phone requires both wires to function, adsl or vdsl do not, its a radio signal, but the line will not be balanced correctly.

A neighbour had a similar problem, one wire on the BT/OR side was disconnected somewhere on the line, neighbour never used the land line so was not aware of the issue, but he did have slow speeds.

Re in the evening, it may be a Hot Vlan (in my case it was not) , interference (not detected) or congestion external to Plusnet's domain.

After a long discussion, and me agreeing to send in more speed test reports, that very evening, 'pouf'  the problem disappears, and has been pretty stable since, must be magic Smiley

You can generate congestion by testing during heavy traffic use, ie downloading big files, which is why the test should be carried out while the traffic load is low, wired connection and yes thats when I tested the speed, in the evening, wired.

demon14
Grafter

Thanks @dws1900 , glad yours is sorted.

Hopefully I only require an engineer and not the plusnet magic fairies as well, will update after the engineer visits.

demon14
Grafter

So the enginner visited, bypassed the external nte, and fitted internal nte.

Then found a high resistance fault on the blue/white pair entering property between the house and an underground junction box ~30m away.
The spare pair orange/white were worse.

Cityfibre contractors recently dug up the front, the bt engineer suspects they have crushed the bt duct.

Bt dig team will be round in few days to repair the fault

Although now my download sync dropped off a cliff and no longer usable, not sure if this is due to all the disconnects diring the engineer visit.

Can plusnet reset my vdsl line at the cabinet to get it to retrain?

connspeed.png

demon14
Grafter

Could a plusnet reset my line?@adamwalker @RandallFlagg @MatthewWheeler ,its barely usable now, and i'm running through my plusnet mobile data allowance.

My download sync is down to 748Kbps after the engineer visit (previously 55Mb) but me SNR on my downstream has gone from 5.2db to 21db, I'm hoping a cabinet reset on my line to start the training again will resolve this in the short term.

Thanks

Tim