Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds significantly lower

griffgriff
Dabbler

Re: Fibre speeds significantly lower

@MatthewWheeler

Fault raised still suffering low upload and download speeds
This never occurred from when I originally signed up BT so does not make sense why when it’s the same infrastructure that it is happening with plusnet

It feels and appears I’ve been placed on a lower package then am paying for. Or misled

If the low speeds continue do I contact Ofcom or plusnet direct?
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @griffgriff

I've updated your fault ticket with further information here.

To confirm, you 100% haven't been put on a lower package than you're paying for - the screen shot of the line test that @MattWheeler provided shows your line in sync at 58mb/s - this wouldn't be possible if your speed was being capped or if you had been mis-sold a product. Similarly, I've tested your line again today and observed the same result. Honestly, at this stage, the cause of the issue is likely within your premises, hence why our suppliers have requested to progress this to an engineer visit.

If you could respond to the ticket I've updated with the required information that would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Dave

griffgriff
Dabbler

@RandallFlagg

Does surprise me that in Nov I was with BT no speed issues or drop out
But once moved over to plusnet there is a drop and suggestion the fault is internal.

As you can see from the images of the BT wholesale test the speeds to do not match

And when doing a test via Ofcom speed test they still do not match what your system is showing.

If the engineer states there is a fault do I pay them direct or will this be added to my bill?
Will I receive a full breakdown of the cost for parts and labour and any added costs?

If the engineer suggests or says there is a fault internal but the Ofcom speed test continues to report lower speeds that what your system is suggesting what is the process?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @griffgriff

Does surprise me that in Nov I was with BT no speed issues or drop out
But once moved over to plusnet there is a drop and suggestion the fault is internal.

We're just trying to rule out the problem to be internal, because ideally we don't want an engineer to go out and find out the problem is something to do with internal equipment and pass the job back as a chargeable appointment.

While you may not have had any problems with BT, to be honest a problem can occur at any point in time. It's also possible that you were moved on to a different port at the cabinet during the transfer.

As you can see from the images of the BT wholesale test the speeds to do not match

And when doing a test via Ofcom speed test they still do not match what your system is showing.

We see your sync rate whereas speedtests show your throughput.

Due the way broadband works, these two types of speeds are affected by different factors.

If the engineer states there is a fault do I pay them direct or will this be added to my bill?

If an appointment is chargeable, we'll add £65 on to your next available invoice within 90 days of the fault investigation closing. However, it's worth noting that we robustly defend all engineer charges and are very stringent when accepting and passing on a charge from our suppliers.

Will I receive a full breakdown of the cost for parts and labour and any added costs?

Unfortunately not, but we'd provide you with the engineer notes.

It's also worth noting that any call-out charge we pass on would be a small portion of the charge we actually receive, but we will only pass on the charge if absolutely valid.

If the engineer suggests or says there is a fault internal but the Ofcom speed test continues to report lower speeds that what your system is suggesting what is the process?

The engineer should demonstrate to you where the fault exists. If you're still having issues when that problem is removed, then we can report this back to our suppliers for further investigation and likely arrange another engineer.

Again, engineer charges are decided after the fault investigation is closed so for example if the 1st engineer advises the fault is internal, but the 2nd engineer says the fault is at the cabinet, then we wouldn't charge you for the first visit.

I've read your through your thread and it sounds like you've done everything your side apart from have you been able to replicate the problem using a different device?

I've checked things out thoroughly our side and we aren't seeing any signs of congestion at the exchange, so if you're having the same using two or more devices (not simultaneously) then the next step is an engineer.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
griffgriff
Dabbler

@Gandalf

It certainly needs looking at 2 days i had a speed just below and then just above the guaranteed speed.

Now its dropped back to dial up pace e.g. taking a very long time to load a page

Will certainly need an engineer and a refund for . not providing the service which is currently being paid for.

Your system should easily be able to check the speeds and automate a refund when dropping below contractual guaranteed speed because it should never at any stage drop below the speed as if it does then plusnet is falsely advertising and in breach of contract.

Doe plunet refund a days pay as i will need to take a day off work for the engineer if a fault is found.  and will the engineer check both external and internal at the same time or just fob it off as internal

@MatthewWheeler

The new router you mentioned to try help the issue never arrived

Overall disappointing infrastructure service has never happened with BT and plusnet is BT owned crazy

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @griffgriff,

Once the issue is resolved we can the refund you from the date the issue was raised to the date the issue issue is resolved.

I'm afraid this is not a function that our internal system currently supports however, under these circumstances, the type of fault you are experiencing would be difficult to automatically refund for. This is because the sync rate is within the estimated speed and it is your throughput that is effected. The only way this would be possible is for the throughput data to be continuously sent to our suppliers server and then forwarded to our internal system (throughput will fluctuate dependent on usage and other factors.)

I'm afraid we do not offer refunds for taking a day off work to await the engineers arrival, if it helps it does not have to be you that is in the property when the engineer attends (as long as the person is older than the age of 18 to provide the engineer access.)

The engineer will test the circuit from your master socket and if no fault is found in the internal network, proceed to the external network (presuming a fault is detected with their equipment.)

Once you have replied to the ticket, please reply on here so we can pick it up as soon as possible for you.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional