cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds - not what they should be

Lunar

Fibre speeds - not what they should be

I recently moved to Plusnet and have been emailed to say that my broadband speed is now 78mb.  However, when I run the BT speed test it comes up as 6.9.  I've tried turning it off and on again, but it's not improving.  The engineer that fixed it up went away claiming that he hadn't been able to connect us, but later that evening we suddenly found that we were connected - so I'm wondering if the engineer has made an error.  All in all, I'm a bit confused and rather annoyed to be paying more than I was, to have a slower speed.  Any suggestions?  It has been 14 days now, so it should have settled down, shouldn't it?  Undecided
15 REPLIES 15
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Fibre speeds - not what they should be

what does it say here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and if you do further diagnostics here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ what does that give you for your ip profile?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
nigel1971
Grafter

Same here, mine in the last month has been averaging under 69mb from my normal 74mg.
Lunar

The Plusnet link states I am currently on 78mbps.  The BT link gives me the following:
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 6.11 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 5.85 Mbps
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I'd raise a fault at faults.plus.net
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bilko

is the test done using wifi or hard wired (ethernet cable
)
Lunar

Both give the same result.  I have tried raising a fault, but it requires me to go through the Troubleshooting process - and I keep getting a message apologising that the Troubleshooter isn't able to work on my connection.  I have emailed plusnet, but keep being referred to the Troubleshooter (? see previous point) or the FAQ page.  I'm wondering if we have been connected to standard broadband, rather than fibre optic - especially as the engineer that visited to connect us left saying that he had been unable to connect us to fibre and would have to send as Openreach engineer out, then (with no further communication) we later found ourselves on-line.  I am being charged for the top-speed fibre optic, so it's a little annoying!  I'm also without internet access via plusnet as of this morning and so am now having to use my mobile connection which is yet more expense.  Any suggestions as to how I can check if we are on standard broadband and/or how to get plusnet on the case? 
tonycollinet
Grafter

No, you must be on fibre, because your upload speed it too fast for ADSL.
Go to the help and support pages, and raise a ticket (question). Paste in what you've written here - put at the top in capitals that the troubleshooter does not work. (To raise a question it forces you to click through some help pages - select Broadband connection>connection problems>report a broad band fault. Then close the trouble shooter pop up or tab, and you should have the option to "ask the support team your question"
It takes a day or two to get a reply, but at least you'll get somthing moving (I don't think they do email support)
If you want to try to accelerated it, post the question number back here, and hopefully the DCT will pick it up also.
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Or just phone them! I find that they are very helpful when you call.
Did you try the further diagnostics after the speed test on this link http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ it will tell you what your ip profile is set at. When I first joined PS the contractor that changed my wires over in the green box at the top of the road hadn't inserted them correctly, as soon as the BT guy corrected this the speed shot up.
Were you getting a lot of disconnections when you first changed over? If you were then the DLM would keep dropping your ip profile until your connection became stable, that 'could' explain why your speeds are low.
What were you getting with your old isp?
Lunar

We were getting 12mbps with Virgin (standard broadband), so I can't see how 6mbps is too high to be standard broadband.  I have raised a question/ticket on the support pages, but will try and ring if I haven't had a reply in the next couple of days.  I don't really understand how fibre optic works (or any of it, for that matter) which is why I thought I'd try and arm myself with some information/advice before trying to explain the situation to a bod over the phone - yes, they are very helpful, but it helps to understand a bit about what they're telling you  Smiley
tonycollinet
Grafter

I'd have suggested calling, but due to the current connectivity problems, wait times are quite long at the moment.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Standard (non fibre or cable) broadband has maximum 2mb/s upload speed and 20mb/s download.
If you have more than that, you are on fibre (you must have been on cable with virgin)
slavo71
Rising Star

Did you try the further diagnostics test? If so what did it say your ip profile was?
ltbrenton
Dabbler

Just chiming in to say I'm having the same issue here... seem to be capped to 4.6Mbps down with full upload speed available. Given that this has happened not 24 hours after having my line installed, not particularly impressed... 😛
slavo71
Rising Star

lol people ask for help-people give help-people ignore help-people still moan!!!