cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds drop (from 75 to 15 download)

StevieR1
Grafter

Fibre speeds drop (from 75 to 15 download)

Noticed this morning that my internet went off for a little while and when it came back on the speeds have drastically reduced.

The normal download speed as of last night was around 75Mbps but now it's hovering around the 15Mbps mark, tried a router restart and a few times it would reach 38-55Mbps (download) and 11Mbps (upload) but then back to even slower.

I did notice that around 11 am there was a BT engineer was up the local telegraph pole doing some work.

Is it best to wait till later today to see if this settles back to my normal paid for speeds?

16 REPLIES 16
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Re: Fibre speeds drop (from 75 to 15 download)

@StevieR1  You can try dialling 17070 from a preferably corded landline phone.

You should hear confirmation of your landline phone number and then select option 2. for the quiet line test The line should be quiet if not then report a phone fault.

StevieR1
Grafter

The phone line is also dead as well sadly as well as the internet speed now maxing at 8Mbps.

Managed to text PN for the phone line fault checker which the called me back and found the same terrible problem the engineer up the pole must have done and since left (always at the weekend).

Raised a support message to Open Reach but was told it will take 3 days+ for them to even start anything so I will have to wait now and see what happens, hopefully, they can put the speed back to the fast one I have always had.

agedgopher
All Star

That is a positive step forward. I just had a similar problem with my Fibre connection. No dial tone on Wednesday. My download speed dropped from 28 mbps to around 4.1 mbps. The fault has been fixed, literally just over 1 hour ago, my download speed is currently just over 36 mbps.

Good luck with your repair.

StevieR1
Grafter

The speed jumped up a bit last night to around 65 which is getting close to what it was a day ago, then this morning I get a text from Openreach saying the problem has been restored and upon checking the speed it's down to 6 again.

A few router reboots and it's up to around 55 at the moment, still not what it was before they broke it.

agedgopher
All Star

@StevieR1 

Has your dial tone been restored?

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Engineer probably disturbed or swapped lines about to try and fix a neighbour's issue. I am sure they do this hoping no one notices. I had a serious outage for over a week because a clumsy engineer or contractor managed to disconnect my line while working in the green cabinet.

StevieR1
Grafter

Glady the phone line was fixed but the speed drop even though in the recommended range is not great for something I didn't ask to happen.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@StevieR1 wrote:

Glady the phone line was fixed but the speed drop even though in the recommended range is not great for something I didn't ask to happen.

It's possible that repeated reboots of the hub has contributed to this as the DLM can interpret this as a dropped line and compensate by increasing the SNR and hence slowing the speed.

You need to leave it switched on to give the DLM a chance to detect that you now have a stable line so that it can automatically drop the SNR and hence speed you up again.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Baldrick1 I don't think it works quite like that on FTTC, the SNR increases as a result of the line being banded at a low speed, DLM does not control the SNR in the way it does on ADSL. If the line is banded it is quite difficult to remove it, except by getting Plusnet to request a DLM reset. The fact that the OP's speed has increased from 6Mbps to 55Mbps suggests it is not banded so best to leave it and hope DLM increases the speed further.

StevieR1
Grafter

Cheers for all the info everyone, I have until Tuesday before I can raise the matter further and see if the speed goes back to normal (fingers crossed)

StevieR1
Grafter

Noticed today a check of the BT Broadband availability checker then VDSL Range A and B have dropped from a High of over 80 to now 63.5 and 61.4.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @StevieR1, thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm really sorry to hear that you're still having issues with your broadband speed, despite the phone fault being resolved. An RRT line test on my side is still showing line issues, and a large reduction in sync speed which to me, indicates that there's still an underlying problem with the line, despite the figures on BT's Availability Checker changing. 

Going forward, I've updated the open fault ticket, requesting you to respond with dates that you'd be available for an engineer visit. Give me a nudge on here once you've responded and I'll get the fault raised. 

Capture.PNG

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
StevieR1
Grafter

Thank you @adam945 for this reply and the graph showing the drop.

The speed has gone up a bit to around 41-55Mbps at times but still way below what it was before Friday and my gaming pings have also doubled to just over 40ms Sad

I have responded to the ticket to move this forward now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there, 

I'm really sorry to see your speed has dropped and latency increased.

I've arranged for an Openreach engineer to visit you and I've updated the ticket 222915963 with the appointment details.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet