cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds are much slower now.

Simonzo
Dabbler

Fibre speeds are much slower now.

When I first got fibre from plusnet my estimated speed was 72mb.I got about 68mb down and 18 upload.I think I would have been one of the first  to get connected to the new fibre cabinet so was expecting the speed may drop a bit.It did drop a few times eventually settling after several months to a not as impressive 45mb download and around 14up.My ping to bbc.co.uk was always around 14 to 15 ms.I was happy with these speeds and didn't see the point in complaining.
  Over the last month or so my speed has dropped to 36mb and upload is 6mb and the ping has doubled to 30ms!
I signed up for upto 76mb unlimited fibre.I see now there is a package upto 38 mbps unlimited which wasn't available at the time.Have I been switched to this profile?I'm paying extra for a faster service.Although I would like better upload,download and ping,I could get my current speeds for less money on your other package.
Could someone check my line please?
22 REPLIES 22
ShelleyT
Dabbler

Re: Fibre speeds are much slower now.

In the same boat as you although not as bad, I'm ver close to my cabinet (At the end of my street) So my line speed was initially at 77.4 and I was getting between 71-74 Down and 17-19 Up (depending on test time), this lasted for over a year but now my line speed has dropped to 65.4 and my speed is at 62 Down and 18-19 Up. This unfortunately has been like this for around two months.
iainmacmillan
Grafter

yes i think there are a few of us in the same situation -- was 72-74 down in Jan when i got the service and 18 up, in the last month or so, i have noticed its now at 60-62 down, but the upload is roughly the same.
something very odd going on.
Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Has also happened to me.
I have reported it to Plusnet's online chat and Ryan just assumed line degradation.
I'm pretty sure it is G.INP acting on my line since my cabinet is Hauwei and my modem was "installed" by contractor who had a ECI. (I have symptoms of 15ms higher ping, upload speed decreased from 20mbps to 13mbps and download decreased from 77.5mbps to 63.8mbps)
BT have remained silent on this but have acknowledged it and Plusnet just don't want to swap modems (what happened to faulty modems? I'm pretty such the lower upload speeds are reflective as per a faulty modem?). The result of loss in speeds is just interleaving being enabled on lines  Sad
BT Thread

Though on my Plusnet IP Profile is stating my current line speed as 77.5mbps but BT Wholesale Speed Test and BRAS IP Profile Check both state it is 68.11mbps! Very strange...
iainmacmillan
Grafter

yes my PN profile says 67Mbps as well and BT's test says 67.61Mbps.
ticket logged for some answers, though they might say its my router, as i use a Netgear D6200 (with latest firmware) linked by CAT6a shielded Ethernet link to the Openreach eye-sore on the wall.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Unfortunately there is an issue and proving it without proper stats is exceedingly hard to diagnose properly.
We must also be careful not to jump on the bandwagon and blame G.INP for it all because there are other causes that could cause similar symptoms such as a line fault or crosstalk.

Yet there's lots of people who are either being fobbed off with 'general degradation and nothing you can do' when they do have a problem related to G.INP.

Its possibly G.INP related if _all_ of the following apply :
1) You are on a Huawei cab
2) You have an ECI modem, HomeHub 5A or other incompatible modem router.
3) Overnight you lost >10Mbps of sync speed and your latency doubled.

There are some that deny there is a problem, but there most definitely is and rather than bury heads in sand approach,  a few of us are pushing for a proper solution.

The info on the BT thread is minimal and often wrong.  Interleaving alone does not cause such large losses in sync as we are seeing.  Interleaving on its own causes delay.  What causes the loss of sync is the RS overheads.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Kitz is exactly right. There is an issue. I had the step change in latency and speed slowdown. I spent a tenner and bought an HG612 modem (to replace Huawei modem). Within 24 hours of connecting it, the latency went down and I gained 10 MBps in speed. I had unlocked the Huawei modem and could see that the improvement corresponded with G.Inp being switched on.
I know you shouldn't have to buy a different modem to solve the issue. For me, it was the best tenner I have spent in a while.
buseng12
Grafter

@jafreer.
                  I have done exactly the same (paid slightly more) & it has had the totally opposite effect. I am on a Huauwei cabinet & G-INP is enabled.
Lost around 10Meg, several random re-syncs, interleaving level went from 4 to 8 overnight.
So nothing is consistent.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@buseng - is it possible that your problems were not related to G.Inp? One of the advantages of having the HG612 is that you can monitor your line stats (if you have unlocked it - which is easy to do).
Software like HG612 Modem Stats (written by a regular contributor to these forums) can capture and monitor your line stats.
There are a lot of smart people on these forums that can look at line stats and determine a lot of information. If you were to post your line stats I am sure everyone could help to try and understand what might be happening.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

@ buseng.  I agree with jafreer, this doesnt sound like a g.inp issue.  That doesnt cause random syncs and continuing loss of speed.      Was it you who had a buzzing on your phone (apologies if I remember wrongly), sounds more like a worseing line fault.
Probably best starting a new thread and posting your line stats.  Id also grab something like DSLstats and monitor what your SNRm is doing.
Simonzo
Dabbler

Quote from: kitz
Unfortunately there is an issue and proving it without proper stats is exceedingly hard to diagnose properly.
We must also be careful not to jump on the bandwagon and blame G.INP for it all because there are other causes that could cause similar symptoms such as a line fault or crosstalk.

Yet there's lots of people who are either being fobbed off with 'general degradation and nothing you can do' when they do have a problem related to G.INP.

Its possibly G.INP related if _all_ of the following apply :
1) You are on a Huawei cab
2) You have an ECI modem, HomeHub 5A or other incompatible modem router.
3) Overnight you lost >10Mbps of sync speed and your latency doubled.

There are some that deny there is a problem, but there most definitely is and rather than bury heads in sand approach,  a few of us are pushing for a proper solution.

The info on the BT thread is minimal and often wrong.  Interleaving alone does not cause such large losses in sync as we are seeing.  Interleaving on its own causes delay.  What causes the loss of sync is the RS overheads.

Well I have an ECI modem have lost about 10 mbps and latency has doubled.
The only thing I don't know is what type of cabinet it is.
So it may be possible it's related to G.Inp.
I'd never heard of it before to be honest,but it seems a hot topic at the moment!
AndyH
Grafter

Based on your previous post here:
Quote from: Simonzo
My exchange is LCBAR.

Your exchange has a mix of ECI/Huawei cabinets.
Cabinets 39, 56, 65, 71, 37, 13, 9, 59, 52, 63, 46, 53, 45, 57, 35 and 72 are Huawei (and all done under BDUK Cumbria). The cabinets done under BT's commercial programme on your exchange are ECI.
Simonzo
Dabbler

Thanks for that I'm on cabinet 39.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

As far as I can see, you're not on G.INP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Simonzo
Dabbler

Hi,
When I use the dslchecker for my line it has two lines for fttc as follows:
fttc a (clean)        high 80    low 60.8 download and 20 high 20    low upload
fttc b(impacted)  high 74.8 low 48.4 download and 20 high 12.2 low upload
My speed comes below the lowest impacted on both download and upload!