cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds & IP Profile

fusileer2002
Grafter

Re: Fibre speeds & IP Profile

I could live with some speed drop in the evenings, but its gets to the point that I can't watch streamers on Twitch without it buffering, and trying to play online games results in irregular "rubber-banding" as packets are delayed or lost. And its only ever on an evening.
fusileer2002
Grafter

Basically anything other than checking emails or browsing a website is getting pretty pointless between 6 and 10pm.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=142593090740853769518
fusileer2002
Grafter

7pm this evening and its awful - I could game better on an evening on my old ADSL connection which was only 4mb! I'll just add though, that this hasn't always been the case - fibre was great when it was first installed and (presumably) before everyone else in this area got in on the act.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=142601361385081563630

fusileer2002
Grafter

Support answered my latest comments on the ticket and are still pushing for BTW to look into this properly. Meanwhile, they did give me the SVLAN number: SFBB00006777
AndyH
Grafter

Do you have any neighbours with BT Infinity and the same issues?
fusileer2002
Grafter

They haven't mentioned anything, but I'll ask them next time I get chance. They are on a BT fibre package I know that.
fusileer2002
Grafter

Hi Andy
You mentioned a couple of times about the Leyburn exchange suffering congestion, and that my exchange is connected through this (is there anywhere I can see this btw, just for interest?), well I just got off the phone to one of my friends who lives in Leyburn and is also a PlusNet customer. He is suffering from the exact same issues I am at peak times. He goes from around 68mb speeds during the day to around 5mb after 6pm. He's raised it as a fault a few days ago and I can pm his username if needed, but does this information help or shed any further light on the matter? I'll add this info into my fault ticket just in case.
AndyH
Grafter

Hiya
Yeah, that is useful information. Hopefully one of the CRT guys can pick this up because your issue is almost certainly part of the same problem. I would also add the information to your fault ticket so the faults guys can also see this, and mention your exchange is a child of Leyburn.
Unfortunately, the parent/child exchange list for FTTC is behind a password protected site with BT Wholesale. Leyburn is the parent exchange of quite a few child exchanges though.
fusileer2002
Grafter

Right ok, lets hope it helps. I checked at the neighbours too, who are on a BT fibre package (Infinity?) and their download speed at 7pm this evening was 10mb so that's clearly being impacted too.
fusileer2002
Grafter

Engineer came this morning for their 3rd visit. Of course everything was fine, and he said the exchange was checked and fine too. No surprises so far. He then got on the phone to his department for about 20 minutes and spoke at length to them, occasionally asking me for some details of when the problems occur. End result of it was that their conclusion was:
"Its contention and your CP throttling you because they can't the amount of customers they have, apparently PlusNet are notorious for it."
His words, not mine! I then mentioned about the TAP 3 tests being terrible and that supposedly bypassed Plusnets network (do correct me if I'm wrong) to which he said it could BTW then. That's actually the first time I've heard that BTO and BTW aren't the same outfit so I guess I learned something today Wink
So the quest continues and I'm getting less and less confident in who to believe and losing faith that this will be cleared up anytime soon.
However...speeds and latency on an evening have actually been good since Friday 13th! There were a couple of disconnects during the day (I think a lot of folks were affected if I read the service page correctly) but the evening latency was fine. So I've started keeping a log of which evening was good and which were bad. I should have started this weeks ago, but as all evenings were pretty bad it didn't occur to me. Anyway, while it has been good the two nights I used it, both time I was on the ptw-bng02 gateway.
Edit: Didn't look close enough - the ptw-bng02 was the good one I've been on over the weekend, am now on the pcl-bng02 gateway after the modem was dc'd this morning for the engineer tests. Will be interesting to see how the speeds are this evening.
AndyH
Grafter

The engineer is wrong to blame any CP, and they shouldn't be doing this.
The evidence shows it to be an issue within the BTw network based on the TAP3 test results and your neighbours being with a different CP but seeing the same issue.
fusileer2002
Grafter

Which is what I thought. It was his opposite number on the other of the phone that prompted him to blame PlusNet. He did say he'd had a lot of call outs to throughput issues with PlusNet customers lately but if we're all on the same equipment that's hardly surprising.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The engineer shouldn't have said that. On the TAP3 test you connect with a BTW login and bypass our network completely. The fault ticket is still with our team here so they'll get back on to this.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.