Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds & IP Profile

fusileer2002
Grafter

Fibre speeds & IP Profile

Hi guys.
I've been on Plusnets FTTC service since last year, and for most of that the speeds and ping have been good. Since about December however both have been dropping off a bit. Particularly the ping and I've been suffering a little bit of packet loss while playing online games and occasionally when web browsing. I ran a quick test tonight from the BT wholesale speedtester and have attached the result. The test says my acceptable speed should be 60-80Mb, but I have never got that even when it was working at its best. I think the best I ever got was around 48Mb, which was good enough, but thought I'd mention it. The test also says my IP profile is 77.44 - how close to that should I actually be getting with a fibre service? I'm on unlimited by the way.
I have plenty of experience with these sort of results on ADSL, but this is the first time I've really looked into them since moving to fibre so not sure what exactly to expect. The packet loss is starting to become too much of a problem to ignore and the higher pings whilst gaming - mainly playing World of Tanks - are starting to be a nuisance. Currently using a home networking kit over the powerlines, but get the same results when using either Wi-Fi or direct Ethernet cable. Obviously I've done the usual switching off of routers and boxes etc.
Any ideas or thoughts?
72 REPLIES 72
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Fibre speeds & IP Profile

What are your speeds like on this test http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html ?
fusileer2002
Grafter

If this code works...

the upload looked a little spiky. Generally upload speeds have always been very good and around the 18-19Mb mark until lately.
AndyH
Grafter

Can you try disconnecting/reconnecting (from the router admin page) to see if that makes any difference?
fusileer2002
Grafter

Morning. Speeds are a little better this morning, assuming that's down to it being a less busy time. I ran a speedtest before and after disconnecting via the router page and the results were pretty much identical. I'll attach another BT result and heres the TBB result:

Speed not currently as good as it has been in the past, but what about the IP profiles for the line? How accurate are they on fibre?
Edit: forgot to attach the screenshot!
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
Are these results all via wireless or powerlines? They do seem a bit inconsistent in performance.
Do you have another machine or device you can test on your network?
The IP Profile is accurate - it's set to around 98% of your sync speed with the cabinet.
fusileer2002
Grafter

Those results were all over powerlines. Wifi gives slightly worse results even when the device is parked next to the router, but I'm not terribly surpised or worried by that. However this next result is interesting! I plugged my old XP laptop directly to the router via ethernet and got this result:

However if I rerun the test it does come with a different results each time, usually slower upload speeds but I dont know if the inconsistency is in the connection, the laptop or the test. Anyway, I last tried this with ethernet about a week ago and it wasn't as good as this, but for now I'm going to have a mess around with the powerline adaptors and see if anything makes a difference. I do have another set that I can try to compare as it looks like the loss in performance is in the powerline somewhere. I'll post back if I figure anything out.
Thanks for the help so far.
AndyH
Grafter

Which router are you using?
fusileer2002
Grafter

PlusNet Technicolour one that was supplied, connected to the white BT box.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: fusileer2002

Those 'sawtooth' speedtests can sometimes be caused by Anti-Virus or similar.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
fusileer2002
Grafter

Well rejigging the powerline adaptors around has improved the speeds and ping at the other end somewhat. Hopefully it will have sorted the packet loss issue too but I'll keep an eye on that. I'm guessing that last night was just a particularly bus night on the network as slowdown and latency was worse than it ever has been.

Thanks again for the help so far.
fusileer2002
Grafter

Testing via the direct ethernet again and speeds are up and down, but currently the same as when using the powerline adaptors.

AndyH
Grafter

It does look to me like something your end.
Do you have any firewalls/anti-virus programs running (as per w23's suggestion)?
fusileer2002
Grafter

No security at all on the old laptop (its only ever pulled out for tests and situations like this, and its totally clean of any malware etc). Only running Windows Defender on Windows 8.1 on the desktop which is also clean. So nothing that should be interfering with speed test results.
AndyH
Grafter

What about updating flash or trying a different browser like Chrome?
Something's not quite right looking at those graphs.