cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed prediction wrong

alanb2014

Fibre speed prediction wrong

I recently upgraded from ADSL to Unlimited Fibre. The letter from PlusNet predicted speeds of 38-40 Mbps. After ten days speeds were around 6.5 download and 1.5 upload, when wired directly in to the master socket.

I raised a question on this, and PlusNet organised for an engineer to visit. When he came he realised immediately that PlusNet had based their speed prediction on a distance to cabinet of 200m. The actual distance is a bit over 2000m, and so the line is not capable of more than 8/2. In updates on the thread PlusNet put this down to erroneous data from OpenReach.

How can they get it so wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Fibre speed prediction wrong

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately in some cases the estimates can be wrong as the estimated is provided based on the performance of other lines from the same cabinet.

I can see the estimates for your line have now been updated

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alanb2014

Good quick response Matthew, but where do you see the revised speeds? I have been watching the progress of my questionin the support area, but no communication to me about revised predicted speed. I can see the engineer's report though. Talking to the engineer the problem was not the quality of the line, just that you had our house in completely the wrong place.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Apologies it was requested that the estimates be changed but it doesn't look like it's been done yet.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team