cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed not as expected

chrishamblin
Dabbler

Re: Fibre speed not as expected

Is there anything else you'd like me to try before we get an engineer out?

It just seems strange that I was happily using Sky on their 40/10 package for years with a rock solid connection, but now I've switched to PN on the 78/20 package the connection can't seem to stay up for more than a few hours and seems to regularly require me to enter the connection password at least once a day...

Chris

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Chris.

What you've done is pretty much all you can do from your side to try to improve your speeds. In a lot of exchanges Sky use their equipment whereas we'd use Wholesale equipment so this may be the where the issue lies. That said a fault can still happen at any point in time.

With regards to your connection, your router is trying to connect using the wrong password. Can you factory reset your router by pushing a paperclip into the reset hole at the back for 20 seconds?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chrishamblin
Dabbler

OK.  I'll do that when I get home.

It will need to be re-connected anyway as the house seems to be offline again.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries. Keep us posted.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chrishamblin
Dabbler

Out of curiosity, how do you make the Plusnet One router save the connection password?

When I enter it, it doesn't have a save button, only connect which seems to work, but possibly only for x number of connections?

Could it be that I was a tad impatient when I was setting it all up and I confused it by setting up some stuff (Firewall rules, wifi names and passwords and the admin login password) before it was ever connected to a phone line?

Or maybe I didn't wait the requisite 5 minutes and bungled right in and set the connection username and password manually when it was first connected?

Or is it just "issues" that may be solved by doing a factory reset and leaving it well alone for 10 minutes then seeing if it's connected properly, then add firewall rules, change wifi names etc. once it looks like it's happy?

Or am I asking too many questions about too many things for one topic?  Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Out of curiosity, how do you make the Plusnet One router save the connection password?

When I enter it, it doesn't have a save button, only connect which seems to work, but possibly only for x number of connections?

It should save the password automatically.

No, I don't think it's that at all. I think it may be this:

Or is it just "issues" that may be solved by doing a factory reset and leaving it well alone for 10 minutes then seeing if it's connected properly, then add firewall rules, change wifi names etc. once it looks like it's happy?

In addition, it may just be our remote TR069 management platform is playing up with your router.

I've re-added your router details into it now, if you factory reset it things should be OK in terms of the connection.

Or am I asking too many questions about too many things for one topic?  Smiley

One more question and I'll need a coffee. Cheesy

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chrishamblin
Dabbler

Hi.

I did the factory reset and it did seem to connect fine itself this time.

I've now even spent the extra £5 and got myself a static IP, but sadly I'm at work and I can't reboot the router to make use of it yet.  Tonight....

I can't say if this has solved the constant reconnection issues, but it was up for more than 12 hours before I left for work this morning, so that's good news.
Saying that, I can't seem to connect to my house from work now  (that was even before I signed up for the static IP), so this is either something I've done in the settings, or it has fallen over again.  I'll have a look when I return home.

I'll reply to the email  / post thing tonight too about getting an engineer out.  It seems that that is the next logical step in getting speeds as expected, and, if there is an issue with getting a persistent connection, fixing that too.

Thank you for your help so far!

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @chrishamblin

Glad to hear it's not performing better. Let us know how it goes tonight when you return home.

chrishamblin
Dabbler

So it was up for 12 hours or so yesterday, and then again has been up for 14 now, so I think that we have solved the constant re connections and the wrong password issues.

Which is good.

Now it's just the speed.

If I've done all I can (factory reset of router, plugged directly into the test socket of the phone line, swapped over the modem cable and micro filter for the ones supplies by yourselves  and err, that's about it), and you agree that  I should be getting speeds of nearer 78/20 rather than what the router is optimistically saying of 62/10 then I agree that we need to get someone out to investigate further.

I should be able to be around any day, preferably in a morning.  I'm sure I can take a morning off work without out too much bother.

I've posted this message on a reply to the support question too.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I think the next step is to arrange an engineer visit for further investigation, so I've gone ahead and booked the appointment for you updating you via the fault ticket 178663864 on your account. Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chrishamblin
Dabbler

Blimey.  That was efficient.  I expected a wait of a week or so, not a few hours!

Thanks.  We'll see what they say tomorrow.  Now if I can get the guy to fix the gutter at the same time...  To birds.  Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Haha no problems at all. Fingers crossed they find something they can fix tomorrow.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chrishamblin
Dabbler

I've just noticed this in your test results:

Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream

This wouldn't be the problem would it?  I'm not simply on the wrong profile?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That shouldn't make a difference here as your sync rate is way above the profile.

It's likely the systems that run the tests haven't updated the profile yet.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chrishamblin
Dabbler

That's OK then.

I didn't want to have the engineer come out for nothing.

Cheers.