Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds very slow in evening!!

chri5hill
Grafter

Fibre speeds very slow in evening!!

Hi
So for the past few evenings my fibre speeds have been dropping to ridiculously low speeds of 5Mbs compared to the 40-60 Mbs that I regularly get at normal times during the day and usually the evening.have tried resetting router a couple of times but doesn’t make any difference ,and have used Ethernet directly into router but still getting same low speeds.dont know if any one could have a look at my line and whether or not this is due to conjestion in the evenings?
Thanks
Chris
28 REPLIES 28
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Fibre speeds very slow in evening!!

Hi @chri5hill,

I've tested your line today and I can see that the speed coming into the property appears to be performing at the rate that we would expect it to be performing at. For reference, your line is currently achieving a downstream sync rate of 80Mbps, which is the highest speed it will be able to achieve.

If you continue to experience speed issues from your end of things, I would recommend setting your router up within the test socket in the property to see if this improves the speed you're seeing. A guide on how to do this can be found here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi Alex
I’ll give it a go but when I’ve tested the speed on the past few mornings it’s gone back up to the speeds I have been getting (60-70 Mbps).
Thanks
Chris
0rangecake
Dabbler

Same here mate, evening download speed drops to less than 20% of what it's at off-peak time. My line stats are perfect and yet speed mysteriously decreases in the evening. They're gonna send an engineer out to have a look, but I suspect they won't find anything wrong and I'll be charged £65 even though I'm not getting the service I'm paying for. Also, testing in the morning is pointless as there's very little load on the (oversubscribed) BT backbone.

evening_congestion.png

chri5hill
Grafter

It’s only just started happening but it slows down so much in the evenings it’s absolutely useless and affects video streaming with buffering till it’s just unwatchable!!its obviously conjestion but they need to sort it out otherwise I’ll be leaving.its a shame because I’ve been with them so many years and had hardly any problems what so ever!!
chri5hill
Grafter

Fibre speed issues

Morning
Seems to be a lot of comments on this forum relating to the same issue that I have been experiencing.major speed drops when it gets to the evening and peak times.i know there isn’t any problems with my internal wiring as it goes up to normal when I test it early in the mornings.dont know really what to do next other than raise a fault?
Chris
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @chri5hill,

Sorry to hear that the issue is still on going with your speed which is occurring on both wireless and wired connections.

I have run tests at my side and your connection is looking spot on. I have also check ed the capacity at the exchange which is also not highlighting any issue.

I think the best course of action is to raise a fault here, so that we can raise this to our supplier to investigate further.

Also before raising the we would ask that when you are experiencing the issue with you speed, to run a wired speed test on www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/. Once completed please follow the test to the end inputting your details so that the report is sent to us.

Once you have done both of these, please get back to us here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
chri5hill
Grafter

Thanks sammy
I will run those tests this evening
Thanks for your prompt reply
Thanks
Chris
chri5hill
Grafter

hi

well i did the test but upon pressing further diagnostic tests and entering my phone number it kind of crashed and didnt do the full diagnostic test.it was connecting with a download speed of 5.40Mbps

trying to raise a ticket but i cant remember how to do it?

also my router has struggled to connect up a couple of times today and its never done that before

cheers

#chris

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No worries about the further diagnostic test Chris. There's a link in Sammy's reply to report a fault ticket with us. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi
I tried the link in sammys post but it didn’t work
Chris
chri5hill
Grafter

Ok so have managed to raise a fault.just so you are aware the issues I have are in the evenings when the speed drops to between 5-8 Mbps.when I test during the day I am getting between 50-70Mbps so it’s not an equipment fault in my house.also last night the router had trouble connecting up to the broadband which has never happened before
Thanks
Chris
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for raising the fault.

We've checked and there is actually a wider issue in your area affecting multiple lines speeds at peak times.

A further update is due later today and we'll update you once we have it

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
chri5hill
Grafter

Hi

hopefully(fingers crossed) this seems to have been fixed as I have had back to my normal speeds for the past few evenings.thanks for updating me with the issues in the area.

cheers

chris

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @chri5hill, thanks for the update.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch should you need any further help at all.