cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed issues when moving home

Topsy1

Fibre speed issues when moving home

I’m planning to move in about 4 weeks. I’ve done a Plusnet speed check on the postcode and house number ( phone number not available).

It’s showing broadband fibre available 4-8 Megs. However when I do speed check for surrounding properties - all very close by and with working phone lines - they can all get fibre extra with speeds 40-60 Megs. All the properties using same BT street cabinet. 

The property I’m planning to move to doesn’t have a working phone line as previous owners have taken the number with them so assuming it’s disconnected at the moment. There is still a bt socket in the house. 

My query is could the line not being connected at the moment be giving a false speed check. Once I move in and get a new number activated will I be able to get fibre extra with similar speeds to surrounding houses. 

3 REPLIES 3
OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Fibre speed issues when moving home

Hi @Topsy1

Thank you for getting in touch. 

You've raised some valid points with this. 

Can you confirm if you have checked: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and input the full address and postcode? 

If there has been a BT line previously there should be fairly accurate estimates available on DSL checker. However, in the 5 years I have been working here, I have seen a lot of customers receive slow speeds because they are the wrong end of the loop. 

Kind regards

Topsy1

Thanks for your reply. 

I did check the bt speed checker exactly the same as your link - including surrounding houses as well as the one I’m planning to move to. That’s how I found out they all use same street cabinet.

This would be really disappointing if this is correct and makes me think about aborting the move.

If correct do you think there could be a fix for this problem - the loop and wiring being improved in some way.

do you think there’s any chance at all of speed being same as neighbours once new number and line activated.

Problem is I would have to exchange contracts on the property before line activation so if no improvement on speed checker I would be stuck!

is there any way I can find out definitely about the speed before committing to new house.

thanks for any help.

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @Topsy1

We can't guarantee speeds but provide estimates. We do have minimum guaranteed speeds but that could be really low and not benefit you. 

As for being the wrong end of the loop, sadly, there's nothing providers can do. Some customers if they experience this issue have to go to Virgin to get the speeds they require. 

Let's do a bit more digging first. I have taken ownership of this issue and created a ticket for you here: here