Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed estimate?

fockewulf
Grafter

Fibre speed estimate?

Hi,
I wondered if anyone knew of a way to get a reasonable estimate of what speed we might get if we switched to Plusnet fibre.
Our member account - product upgrade page gives 27 to 37 Mb but some friends who live nearby recently switched to Sky fibre and were also given a similar estimate but are only getting 19 Mb and I would be disappointed if we ended up with a similar speed.
The web page http://dslchecker.bt.com gives these figures for our phone number:
FTTC Range A (Clean)    37.4    27.4      --      Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)    28.2    14.9    --    Available
But I can't find out if we are on a 'clean' on an 'impacted' line.
Been trying to phone Plusnet for a few days but I haven't the time or patience to wait for long and the chat thing is never available.
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fibre speed estimate?

chat is available if you disable the ad blocker
however they won't have any more information than the printout you have posted
one thing you may be able to check is an approximation of line length from the cab and posting that may help
fockewulf
Grafter

I like the ad blocker, I can live without online chat!
I found a page with a graph about speed and distance on and I saw one figure of being just over 1 Km from the exchange and I got a cabinet number but I can't find out where it is, the nearest cabinet I have seen on a route that takes me past the exchange would be about 700 M away.
It's NEBDL Bedale cabinet 3 if you know any way of locating it.
John_Essex
Grafter

As Oldjim says find your cabinet and estimate the distance in meters from it to your home then use the graph at http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance to get an estimate of the speed you should get.  Cool
Edit you beat me to it
The BT checker should give you a cabinet number from your telephone number and all the cabinets have a mumber printed on them so find that one.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: fockewulf
I like the ad blocker, I can live without online chat!
Just disable it for the Plusnet domain Wink