Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed drops every evening and BQM shows packet drop

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Fibre speed drops every evening and BQM shows packet drop

You are currently connected to gateway pcl-bng03.
Before I gateway jump - are Plusnet interested
9 REPLIES 9
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Fibre speed drops every evening and BQM shows packet drop

When did it begin?
It's not too uncommon just after XMAS, with all the new devices etc. using the internet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

29th Dec after a power cut and obviously a gateway change
Starmans
Grafter

I'm on the same gateway Oldjim I've not noticed any packet loss although I do have the same kind of pattern of brief high latency every two hours on my BQM but my has only happened during the afternoon for the last couple of days.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The latency spike in my case is due to Samknows Testing although a smaller spike is often the case with FTTC for some unknown reason
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Gateway hop You are currently connected to gateway pcl-ag02.

Tomorrow I will try a resync
deathtrap
Grafter

Oldjim@ It looks like peak time congestion  to me, Could be within plusnets control , if not than it's BTW related  maybe Exchange handover points or deeper into BTW's labyrinth like SVLAN being over contended, during peak times, Wish you luck getting a satisfactory resolution from Plusnet
Though,as i after several similar less frequent issues  suffered some 5 mths of continuous peak time issues  i gave up with PN and took it higher to their arbitration CISAS  shortly afterwards i migrated  away ,
As the proverb goes,"You only gets what you pays for ",at the end of the day, Is very true , doesn't mean that you aren't entitled to complain though, Plusnet aren't really charging enough for it to be  truly viable (FTTC prices) Despite what  ANDY-H  will say  , Hey Andy My throughput didn't drop during xmas and new year so your theory doesn't really hold much water , nor should it be accepted as normal if it did, But there again i pay more and get more in the way of support and service levels , with my current isp
In comparison would you build a gaming spec PC using inferior parts , and expect it to provide stellar performance for years without issues ?
And PN could return to a good ISP if they ceased trying to compete with the Harding's  and started charging a fair price for their BB products , a price that would pay for reasonable support levels, and service levels , and then they could charge a lot less than their brethren BT consumer for line rental &calls
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: deathtrap
As the proverb goes,"You only gets what you pays for "

True, but there will be a wide variation of what PN customers are paying. The 'you only get what you pay for' argument won't wash with someone on a Market 1 exchange paying full price for FTTC.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Does any other ISP charge different prices for FTTC between Market A and B exchanges? Isn't that just a Plusnet special thing?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Back on topic
You are currently connected to gateway ptn-bng02.
Tonight there are no problems with either the BQM graph or Samknows Testing and the speed test is fine
So what changed and I have a theory
The previous resync was immediately after a power cut and this was the effect 
My download speed is normally more or less stable between 45.5 and 47.5Mbps depending on the time of day/weather/etc. when it resyncs Upstream is also stable at about 8.5Mbps
When the power came back on the router (8800NL) reconnected but with a speeds of 47620/12200 and the upload noise margin is now varying between 1.8 and 2.3 instead of the normal around 6dB and even though the error seconds are higher the DLM system appeared happy.
So how can this cause the stupid results