cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed dropping to well below expected levels

biglee1974
Grafter

Re: Fibre speed dropping to well below expected levels

Well, 7pm on August 31st, and clearly nothing has been fixed at the exchange yet. Disappointing...
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Maintenance usually happens in the early hours as to not disturb the majority of users on the exchange so you may not see any difference until tomorrow that said it's a bank holiday so i would be surprised if it's done tonight but it may well happen.     
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Well i can see in the TBB graph posted above that the connection has dropped so it looks like something did indeed happen in the early hours hopefully it was the exchange work and good news for you.
biglee1974
Grafter

It may have dropped for DJ, but it didn't drop for me, and everything is as bad as it ever was. I am even getting packet loss right now early in the morning!
Argh!
biglee1974
Grafter

Pfft. Update. They are now claiming blocked ducts etc were encountered as they were laying new cables to ease congestion, and that it won't be fixed until mid October.
That will be a full 6 months of an awful congested line as shown in the bqm graph above. Ridiculous!
deejayburnout
Grafter

Yup mine dropped out but don't know why. started a new graph

already you can see how shaky it is, and a speed test right now is giving me

not as bad as usual but it is nearly 11pm.
as for the blocked ducts, i have experienced this at work. Before they run the fibre cables, they run a liner which they then use to 'blow the cable' down the liner. we had the same issue at work and openreach had to run new liners. That was about  weeks ago and they have not been back to run the fibre.  Angry
i have raised a ticket again for my congestion.  Roll_eyes

andywallace1

Just hopping on the Glenrothes/Kinglassie bandwagon here. hullo all.
I live in the same place as DJ and have an open ticket that's been lovingly kept open by your s truly since 26th June 2015. My speeds were dropping before DJ's exchange finally got switched on, 9 months after the rest of us.  This tipped the scales on the wrong side of rubbish and has never recovered. It always, Always ramps down at 6pm until midnight. The time when everybody wants to stream movies eh. It's unfair that BT can't do a proper job of calculating the required bandwidth for a small village in the first place. How many of them have an O-grade or GCSE in arithmetic for heaven's sake?
The bottleneck that's affecting us all in the area is a general lack of fibre cores down the A92 towards Kinglassie. This has been confirmed to me by the first BTO engineer that came to test my line. He mentioned one of the local BTO managers was affected by the same issue and that it WILL be getting worked on and SHOULD be fixed by end of August. However, August has come and gone and still we face this.
Imagine if you went and ordered a 3.2 Audi TT and when it got delivered it was a 1.8. On calling the service desk about it you're politely told there is a shortage of 3.2s at the moment and the 1.8 is an acceptable alternative. You may get upgraded to the car you ordered eventually but not before we kindly toy with your head for the next 3 months. If you have any pressing questions, call this number and a trained member of staff will listen with open ears, empathising to your every word, and make you forget all your worries.
Okay, perhaps a bit far fetched, but you get my point. You would not expect this from any other paid service, so why should they get to sweep it under the rug? Another example: The electricity supply to your house is dropped to 120V because your neighbours are boiling too many kettles and washing their skiddies.

Plus Net - They'll do you proper!
deejayburnout
Grafter

Hopefully with the number of unhappy PN users and tickets raised, BTO will get the message and put this higher up on the To Do List.
deejayburnout
Grafter

Got a message from PL support on my ticket yesterday. This is good news as it details a definitive problem and actions to resolve it.
I've come across your account whilst looking into some back haul related issues at Glenrothes. Openreach is trying their best to resolve the issue however they need access to certain parts of the some carriageway to carry out the necessary repairs safely. As the Highways Agency is involved Openreach are in discussions with them and as soon as access is granted Openreach can do the work needed to resolve this long ongoing issue. We will continue to monitor this and as soon as any updates are received we will let you know.
andywallace1

I got the same email yesterday as well. This partly came about due to my persistent complaining regarding the delays.  BT have known about the issue since September 2013 when I first raised a ticket with them directly.  The backhaul equipment was struggling to cope before FTTC came along, so there's no excuse why this hasn't been resolved already. However, I'm just glad it would appear something is being done about it now. Sorry for the lack of optimism but I've had similar responses in the past, with nothing coming out of it, so I'll not be holding my breath on this one either.
biglee1974
Grafter

Same message here. Same feelings of pessimism.
You guys live in Kinglassie - Extreme southwest. well outside Glenrothes.
I live in Balbirnie - Extreme northeast of Glenrothes.
We both use the same exchange - Glenrothes central.
Surely we cant be sharing the same fibre line into the exchange, so I don't see how repairing cables/adding new cables out of Kinglassies is going to resolve the issue (im sure thats what you were told they were doing).
Was pretty confident this was going to be resolved just by them adding more hardware to the exchange and rebalancing as required. But no, they need to dig up roads for some reason?
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: andywallace1
Imagine if you went and ordered a 3.2 Audi TT...
Not a very good analogy because a car is a good. When you pay for a good you are getting something specific for your money. ISPs provide a service and all you get when you pay for a service is 'best efforts'.
It's unfortunate that some of you got different explanations for the issue but unfortunately when you pressure engineers for explanations the results are often random. The ones who come out to our houses are only involved in local loop maintenance so that's about all most of them know. If the fault is elsewhere (as seems now to be the case) they may have no idea about it. So that leaves them in a quandary. If they say they have no idea the customer gives them an earful about not being informed. At least if they make something up the customer will be happy long enough to let them get to the van and drive off.
Anyway perhaps some of you who slagged off Openreach could apologise and 'have a go' at the Highways Agency or local car drivers since they seem to be the ones delaying the repair  Cheesy
biglee1974
Grafter

I don't think anybody owes Openreach an apology, as they haven't been singled out in any way as the sole culprit?
All I know for sure is that I personally have suffered from this issue for 4 months now. That's how long it took Plusnet/BTWholesale & BTOpenreach to between them figure out the cause and start acting upon it.
4 months without 'Highways Agency' even being in the picture Wink

deejayburnout
Grafter

So according to the plusnet RSS feed - Plusnet service status reporting
Planned BT Network Maintenance - Week commencing 28th September 2015
When is this work happening?
Overnight throughout the week.
What does it affect?
Broadband connectivity.
How long will it take?
Up to six hours each time.
What does the work involve?
We've received notifications from our suppliers about maintenance work that is scheduled to take place in the following areas this week. This work typically takes place between midnight and 6am.
29th Sept
Newton Abbott, Hampstead, Bristol, Colindal, Whalley, Preston, Fakenham, Arkwright, Nottingham, Downham Market, Ludlow, Wolverhampton, Stafford Walton, Barry, Grays, Hawick, Huntingdon, Intake, Kidsgrove, Lancaster Gaunt, Oban, Gosforth, Gosport, Highway, Hitchen Herts, Faraday.
30th Sept
Halifax, London Colindale, Milton Keynes, London Leytonstone, Hanley, Yeovil, Ashton-on-Ribble, Ballymena, Banbury, Cumbernauld, London Golders Green, Llantrisant, Catford-Faraday, Malden-Southbank, Twickenham-Slough, Grantham-Nottingham, London Bayswater-Southbank, Egham-Slough, Fareham-Bristol.
1st Oct
Taunton Toneside, Chandlers Ford, Dunfermline Abbey, Glenrothes, Hartlepool, Haslemere, Havant, Lofthouse Gate, Nelson Lancs - Preston, Beauchief - Sheffield, Northallerton - Leeds, Newbridge - Cardiff, Primrose Hill - Colindale, Hulme Hall - Wolverhampton.
2nd Oct
Harlow, Honiton, Horsham Sussex, Houghton le Spring, Kingswood, Laindon, Leamore, Lisburn, Inverurie Historic, Kettering, London Acton, London Kingsland Green

Although these are the areas or exchanges we have been notified of, due to the nature of the broadband network these outages may affect customers nationwide. There are also a number of smaller exchange works most nights of the week that may cause smaller outages at individual exchanges.
Am I likely to notice the work?
Yes, there's a chance that you may be disconnected from the internet for a period of time during the maintenance window.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Any customers having problems connecting once the maintenance is complete are advised to log into their router interface and click connect.
Kind regards,
Chris Parr
Customer Support

so last night work was done on the Glenrothes exchange. Lets hope its what needs done to fix out issues.
biglee1974
Grafter

Don't get your hopes up, buddy. Probably just some preliminary work. Last I heard from plusnet was an estimate of mid-late October.
My BQM graph is second from top, and you can see it was as hopeless as ever last night.
That's been 5 months of this garbage and counting now.