cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed dropping to well below expected levels

deejayburnout
Grafter

Fibre speed dropping to well below expected levels

So this is a new thread i am starting as i high-jacked someone else's post and really want to focus on my issues.
Had fibre installed last week and after a few hickups, got my line to show my full speeds of

Then noticed it started to loose download speed, well below acceptable speeds for my line

was asked by Matthew Wheeler to see what i get from here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and got this
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
1.15 Mbps
  0 Mbps  77.43 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 60 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
5.37 Mbps

0 Mbps  20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.37Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

It seems to me that when i get up in the morning i can get full speeds

but when i get home from work it not so good

It seems to me that my exchange is suffering from congestion. I can only presume that my line is good as i live in a new build and i had zero issues with my line when i had standard broadband. The speeds are now and often below what i had before. i then read elswhere on the forum to try gateway hopping and that made no major difference either. i have also had messages from Plusnet via the member centre showing this

The connection is dropping (2 drops in 24 hours, 9 drops in 72 hours)
Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 80.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2015-07-21T05:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 888.3 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0

NIC: Pass
Next action: DCN issue, PPPoE connection didn't resolve. Raising to BTW.

on gateway ptn-bng02 and this is my speeds

i then gateway hop to pcl-bng03 and get this

Can anyone shine any light on this???
The next step is to have an enginner sent out to check everything. My internal setup is fine as being an electrician, i know how to setup the hardware and have used Cat5 cable throughout from telephone master socket to openreach box and routers.
46 REPLIES 46
deejayburnout
Grafter

Re: Fibre speed dropping to well below expected levels

This morning. No issues
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

From reading the fault ticket you've said that the evening disconnections are mainly from you resetting the router, if you're actually powering it off and back on then you probably want to avoid doing so. Logging in to the router and doing a 'disconnect/connect' will have the same effect.
The fault is being looked into as an intermittent disconnection issue, so we should eliminate as many disconnections as possible.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
deejayburnout
Grafter

Hi Chris
i can see where you are coming from so i will cease disconnecting from the internet, i will leave it as is just now.
I am not having issues with the connection dropping, its more that my speeds are painfully low, well below what i would expect. A drop of 20mb wouldn't be a major issue but dropping to sub 10mb is bad.
Update @ 17.40 today
Speeds a little lower than normal but not as bad as it usually is
deejayburnout
Grafter

getting worse
deejayburnout
Grafter

Well
I had the BT engineer at my house today to check out my issue. The first thing he said when he entered was these is an issue with the exchanges at Kinglassie and Glenrothes that is causing this issue with the speeds. He didn't divulge what it was.
He also tinkered with my master socket as well.
Let see if it changes anything.
biglee1974
Grafter

Another Glenrothes guy, huh?
I can confirm that evening speeds have been awful for the past 2.5 months now. It's definitely something at the exchange, and you are the 4th plusnet customer on this forum that I have seen complain.
I have an engineer booked for tomorrow. There is nothing he will be able to do at my house, but plusnet say he has to come out regardless. Have to take a half day off work for this nonsense.
Are you still having problems, or did they do something at the exchange to fix you?
deejayburnout
Grafter

Hi Biglee.
I am from Kinglassie but i seem to have the same issues as you. From the morning until about 4pm it usually OK, then it drops like a stone. When I had normal broadband, my download speed was constant at around 6.5mb all day every day and now it drops to less than that on fibre. Funny how my upload speed is always high.
The engineer that came told my mother in law ( I wasn't in at the time ) that there is issues with the fibre cabling her and in Glenrothes. Im still having issues as we speak. My wife is watching Netflix just now, with no one else using the connection for high demand and it keeps buffering. Shameful.
I don't mind a small speed drop but I am paying for 80/20 and not getting that consistently. I have also bought a new Asus router to see if that helps but no change. I can now plot a think broadband Meyer and this is what i get for today.

It looks like im getting a lot of noise / interference on my connection.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What makes this difficult to diagnose is that a lot of us all over the country are seeing dire evening speeds depending on what route we connect to Plusnet.
See the latest posts on this topic: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140851.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
deejayburnout
Grafter

True, but when openreach tell you there is an issue and others on your exchange have the same symptom's as you. It makes it kinda easy.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

My connection hasn't dropped for 2 or 3 weeks and I haven't been suffering from the evening congestion issues. I know that as soon as my connection drops there is a strong possibility I will end up with the problems again.
Plusnet - how are your investigations into this issue going?
deejayburnout
Grafter

Are you from Glenrothes Jafreer?
deejayburnout
Grafter

This is what i expect all the time.
biglee1974
Grafter

Had the engineer out today.
He's done nothing but respond to calls like ours all over Glenrothes for weeks. Seems they have a dodgy fibre line that is being replaced. Apparently its just been laid, and now needs hooked up. Should be complete sometime this week.
Took them a while to find the problem, hence the 2.5 months delay.
Lets see what happens!
deejayburnout
Grafter

Pretty much the same thing I was told.
Let's hope it is done this week .