Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed dropped from 65Mbps to 9Mbps down / 18Mbps to 10Mbps up

ricmelia
Grafter

Fibre speed dropped from 65Mbps to 9Mbps down / 18Mbps to 10Mbps up

Hi,

Since last week, my fibre connection has been struggling. I've rebooted the router (a TP-Link Archer C8 which has been running fine for many months) a few times but that hasn't helped.

Most of the time, the connection appears to be "ok", just a lot slower than it should be, however, I was working at home on Thursday and found the speed was dropping to below 0.5Mbps and occasionally dropping off completely.

The portal tells me: Current line speed:64.6 Mb

I ran the BT speedchecker advanced diagnostics - I can't find the screenshot I took, but I uploaded it to the fault ticket. Anyway, the IP profile looked correct and the download speed was less than 1Mbps when I ran it...

Here's what Thursday looked like: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/2e149824e862206d2b36766aa1fba4b2-23-02-2017.html

I raised a fault ticket 144651431 on Thursday at about 9am but have had no response at all. The fault logging process didn't go very well so I'm not convinced this got logged properly (I can't see all the stuff I entered anywhere).

I'd appreciate someone giving the ticket a nudge.

Thanks,

Ric

8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Fibre speed dropped from 65Mbps to 9Mbps down / 18Mbps to 10Mbps up

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

The fault did go through to our Faults team.

I'm just running a few tests on your line too to see if there's any obvious cause.

[edit]

Our tests aren't showing any issues and there's no capacity issues in your area.

Have these tests been ran over a wired or wireless connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ricmelia
Grafter

Hi Matt,

Thanks for that.

As the connection has dropped below 10Mbps and is affecting both wired (wired xbox one couldn't stream nowtv/netflix or play online on Tuesday morning) and wireless devices, I ran the BTW test from a wireless connection which at worst, I would expect to get a result of 35Mbps+

For completeness, I'll run the tests again tonight from a wired PC to prove it's not the wireless.

Ric

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Let us know how you get on with the wired connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ricmelia
Grafter

I got a reply on the ticket not long after your responses on here asking me to re-run the BTW performance test with the speedtest_domain account.

I've done that now with the laptop connected via ethernet, wifi turned off on the router and all other wired devices disconnected. I've updated the ticket, but FYI, the interesting bits:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 3.59 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-66.43 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 66.43 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 3Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

I then reconnected all the devices, turned wifi back on and logged back in to the plusnet network and ran a speedtest.net test..  back to 10ish up / 10ish down..

Clearly something's not right... Smiley

ricmelia
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler please could you give my ticket a nudge. Tomorrow morning will be a full week since I reported this issue and so far (aside from your responses here) I've only had one template response asking for a further test, the results of which I provided two days ago.

Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm not happy with the way the last agent updated your ticket so I've flagged that up.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ricmelia
Grafter

Thanks. Is there actually any point in me doing what the last agent requested? I don't mind connecting directly to the BT modem to rule out the router being the issue, but the first suggestion seems pretty pointless! Smiley

ricmelia
Grafter

Ok, so I feel a bit daft for not having done this already, but turning the BT Modem off for a few minutes seems to have done the trick - Hopefully it'll stay like this now.

- The first ticket reply didn't ask me to do anything with the BT Modem

- The second ticket reply did ask me to do this which ended up resolving the issue, but I also tried the suggestion to create a "Dialup" connection while connected directly to the modem. The instructions provided are not correct for Windows 10 (I was able to find the things referred to though) and I wasn't able to connect anyway "the modem returned an error code".

-The second ticket reply seemed to imply that my first set of tests weren't received even though I posted the results in the ticket!

- Shouldn't you guys be able to tell remotely if the modem has decided to have a moment and could do with a reboot?

-Way too slow on responses on the ticket, more than happy with the responses on here (sadly fairly standard to get a better service on here)

Anyway, end result, speed back to normal: