cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed dropped from 50mb to 20mb

Ruddy
Dabbler

Fibre speed dropped from 50mb to 20mb

So my speed has dropped over the weekend (well was  the time i noticed it had). From over 50mb to around 20mb(down).

The only thing that has changed since last week: I changed to a static ip 

Things I have tried: restarting router, reconnecting.

What BTW diagnostic says: 

IP Profile for your line is - 53.24 Mbps

Download Speed
  18.04 Mbps

Download speed
achieved during the test was - 18.04 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds
is 27.5 Mbps-53.24 Mbps

So any advice or should I just phone plusnet when I have time?

7 REPLIES 7
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre speed dropped from 50mb to 20mb

Hi what does your plusnet "current line speed" say you can find it here,  https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

it should be the same as the BTW IP profile which looks ok,  it could have been that changing to the static IP caused the plusnet profile to drop, if it's not the same then online chat or one of the plusnet care team can change it for you. 

Neg

I'm seeing the same thing, dropped form 60 to 20 also switched to a fixed IP last week.

my plusnet current speed is reported as 21Mb

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@Neg plusnets current line speed needs adjusting, you can contact online chat or wait for someone on the Customer help team to do it. 

Ruddy
Dabbler

Seems it was the issue though when I went through chat I was bumped to 37mb line speed. But thought I was now on the 50/10 due to me getting that in previous speed tests. 

or would the static ip do something that restricts the speed around 20mb lower?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

A static IP shouldn't do that. I think I may know whats causing this, can you PM me your username and I'll look into it tomorrow for you.

[Edit]

Thank you for your PMs, @Ruddy and @Neg

I think I've sorted your speeds out now, so if you reboot your router or disconnect/reconnect your PPP session within your router interface, you should be getting the correct throughput.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Neg

Thanks Anoush, back up to 60+.

Cheers

Neg

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

No problem, thanks for letting me know that you're back up to speed.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button