cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed dropped 20mbps overnight after renewing contract.

Tensulp
Grafter

Fibre speed dropped 20mbps overnight after renewing contract.

I'll start from the beginning so this will be clear.
October 2013 - Fibre installed, estimated speed was 52mbps, I got 72mbps. I expected this to drop quite a bit as more customers were added to the cabinet.
May 2014 - Speed had dropped gradually to around 65mbps by this point. I tested the speed once a week or so. Then after BT engineers changed some cabling on my stretch of road the connection went down to 54mbps in just 1 day. I asked PlusNet support to look into it, they said it wasn't normal. A BT engineer came and checked the connection and found nothing wrong at my end. Then after a call from Daryl Chorkum from PlusNet it was resolved back up to 65.8mbps after he made a change at his end ( he reset something, my profile I think ).
Over the following 15 months my connection slowly went down to around 53mbps, which was understandable and I expected this to happen with more new connections.
8th September 2015 - I had upgraded to Windows 10 and tested my speed to make sure that nothing had changed in the update, I was still getting 53mbps.
9th September  - I got a phone call from PlusNet telling me I was out of contract and that if I renewed I could save money but keep the same package and speed so I agreed. Later that day I checked the package I had online and it said Unlimited Fibre not Unlimited Fibre Extra which had me worried but I thought I would wait until the following day and then check again.
10th September  - I checked again and the package now said Unlimited Fibre Extra so I thought all was ok until I tested my speed again. I got 35mbps so had lost 18mbps overnight.
11th September - I contacted support and told them of the problem and my normal line speed and was told "After running a check on your line, the information from your exchange indicates that the top speeds available for you there is in fact 40Mb. This could be due to reduced capacity in that area." and I was then asked if I would like to be changed to the lower speed package.
14th September - I replied and asked how an 18mbps drop overnight could be explained as normal.
I have yet to receive a reply.
I have tried to run the BTW test but the diagnostic section wont work. My current speed from BTW is 36.6mbps down (normally 53mbps) and 14.63mbps up (normally 19mbps)
I don't know if someone has put me on the wrong package then changed it and my profile is still wrong but something has to have changed to lose 18mbps in 1 day.
Hopefully someone from PlusNet can pick this up and find out what the issue is.
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fibre speed dropped 20mbps overnight after renewing contract.

The issue is total incompetence and the inflexibility of the Plusnet system - hopefully a staff member on here can sort it
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

It sounds like what the plusnet system did to me when i arranged a new deal they put me down to the 40Mb package because the low end of the estimate for my line which plusnet use wasn't over 40Mb even though the top end clearly is and so was my sync to the cab, luckily i had a Btw test showing i was connecting over 40Mb so they put me back on 80/20
go here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed   and see what you current line speed is set to if it's 40Mb then it could well be that you have been downgraded a Btw further diagnostic test would be useful to see what is going on at the Btw end but as it's not working for you not much you can do there at present maybe try again and see if it works.
any way if it is a downgrade then hopefully one of he CRT will see this and help put you back on 80/20
Tensulp
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, I checked and it is saying 40mbps so you are probably correct.
Just waiting on a reply from PlusNet, where's Chris when you need him!
Haybasha
Rising Star

Ah well at least I'm not the only one, see my threads:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,144447.0.html
and
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,144502.0.html
I'm still trying to get mine sorted out, maybe I can join the Plusnet pension scheme?
deathtrap
Grafter

After running a check on your line, the information from your exchange indicates that the top speeds available for you there is in fact 40Mb. This could be due to reduced capacity in that area.
Plusnet peddling more  bunkum then , first the 10 day training period on FTTC bs ,now this i'm glad that i left when i did
Tensulp
Grafter

I think the main issue here is that the day before my "new" contract my line was able to handle much faster than 40mbps and then the day after it dropped below 40 so its impossible for PlusNet to argue that the line cant handle the speed.
I was very clear with the guy who phoned me up with the new contract that my connection speed would remain the same and he guaranteed it would.
I am surprised that its been weeks with no reply from PlusNet, my previous issues have always been dealt with quickly. Sad
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
The issue is total incompetence and the inflexibility of the Plusnet system - hopefully a staff member on here can sort it

I still recon it's deliberate and not incompetence.
Either that or retentions are ignoring the memos saying "stop putting people on 40/2 when they re-contract"
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Haybasha
Rising Star

Quote from: avatastic
Quote from: Oldjim

Either that or retentions are ignoring the memos saying "stop putting people on 40/2 when they re-contract"

That would seem to be the case as this happened to me last week when I was profiled incorrectly from 80/20 to 40/10 when signing a retention deal.
It would also seem that some of the staff are now trying to tell customers this is BT's doing in restricting the lines, this again happened to me. Even if this was the case (which I doubt as BT themselves can sell me 80/20 on the same line and my modem is currently connected at 49Mbps with a profile around 1.5Mbps less than that) PlusNet have a duty of care to their paying clients to tell them this rather than just drop you onto a cheaper package and continue to charge you for the higher one. This is blatant lies/misinformation from support staff and needs to be addressed.
My profile has now been rectified however my actual download speed is still stuck at 38Mbps with PlusNet still looking into it. If it's not sorted very soon I'll be going back to the retentions team and cancelling.
Tensulp
Grafter

Still no reply despite PlusNet staff being on the forum. Angry
I saw mention from a PlusNet staff member that they cant alter the profile of a fibre connection as they don't have the tools to do so, but previously when my speed dropped I was on the phone with a guy from PlusNet (he phoned me!) whilst he adjusted my fibre connection up by 10mbps, so they must be able to do something.
Tensulp
Grafter

Still cant get the BTW to run the diagnostic test and my upload speed is getting slower and slower
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 36.71 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 4.76 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

Re-running the test results in the same response.
Haybasha
Rising Star

I feel for you, my profile is currently 49Mbps and my actual download speed is around 38Mbps. 5 days since this happened and no further forward  Angry
Tensulp
Grafter

I finally got my issue resolved as did Haybasha (thanks for your help)
In my case what had happened was when my contract was renewed I was put on the wrong package (a 40/10 package). This was then corrected to the correct package (80/20) but my profile remained set at 40/10.
I eventually managed to convince PlusNet that my profile needed increasing and they put me on a profile of 100/15 (their words not mine).
The end result is that my speed has changed from 34/4 back to 61/18.
The main sticking point is that PlusNet support are confused over what your line can support and if you know that it can handle higher speeds (as I did) then you need to convince PlusNet to put you on the correct profile. Don't forget the reboot your modem/router after you are reprofiled.
PlusNet need to get to the bottom of the reason why people being renewed are ending up in this mess in the first place.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Tensulp
PlusNet need to get to the bottom of the reason why people being renewed are ending up in this mess in the first place.
Oh they know. Lack of resources, leading to lack of training and/or too few people to do the job resulting in mistakes being made. They are either in the 'claw back' phase of their business model where they reap the financial benefit of the last two years marketing or else BT has finally intervened and has told them to make greater profits probably to cover its investment in pay TV Sad