Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed drop

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Fibre speed drop

Was getting the usual 37mb now noticed its not going over 20mb. Online chat with plusnet test done and confirmed lower than minimum speed. Ticket opened and diagnostics in place.
Excellent!
12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre speed drop

Hi there, I've reported the fault with Openreach so we should be able to update you further within the next few days. 

I've just added an update to your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=184020136

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

Thanks

Looks like its back to normal now?
Excellent!
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Manny7860,

It does. I've updated the ticket with your GEA details so you can see what we see. Let us know if you need anything further of it your problems resurface. 

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

Can reach speed of 37mb but that's like early morning after midnight. During day its slowed down due to traffic congestion anything be done?
Excellent!
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

Speeds have dropped again when i checked the sync rate it was 39mb now its down to 28mb which is lower than the GMBS. Most likely the DLM has clicked on its a longer line and knocked speed down.
My master socket is not in a appropriate place there isnt a power socket next to it nor a appropriate place to put the router. I bought a high speed 5m cable from maplins for 30 pound which gave me speeds over my GMBS and that got damaged cant get another one due to them closing down. so i decided to run a extension from the master socket to a convenient place where their is a power socket and appropriate place to put a router now im not reaching my GMBS due to how fibre works. OR should have thought about the right place to put the master socket. Ive just had enough now. Theres no point in me being on fibre if im not reaching the speeds. Either you or OR relocate the master socket at your own cost to install at a appropriate place or terminate my contract. If any of these you cant commit im taking it further.
Excellent!
dws1900
Aspiring Pro

Re cables.

I moved from adsl2+ to vdsl and my existing lead would not accept the higher frequencies used by VDSL.

I then sourced another lead with RJ45 connectors using CW1038 cable, more than 5m long, works perfectly (tested by comparing router at master box then in my study, no loss detected.

Price less than 15 GBP.

Google CW1308 RJ45

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

Ive used them all. Its just a connector with more pins on that's what i had before and used them many times its that connector what sticks out more ending up bending braking. Ive hardwired cw1308 to the socket and still it's not what i expected.
Excellent!
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Manny7860,

Thank you for your post.

At this stage we need to try and narrow down exactly where the issue is, as we aren't seeing the lower sync speed you describe, in fact we're seeing the current sync rate is 35.1mbps.

That being said, I can see that at some point the speed dropped down to 22.9mbps and I am seeing a fair amount of random drops which definitely suggests an issue.

In order for us to try and narrow down the issue we'd need for you to access the Openreach test socket so that we can get the cleanest reading possible of your line.

For reference you can find out exactly how to do this (if you don't already know) here.

Please let us know when you're plugged into the test socket so that we can run some further testing.

To confirm, the MGALS provided is applicable only to running a connection directly from the master socket and so does not apply when using an extension cable. We can certainly arrange to have Openreach move the master socket, however, I must make you aware that there would be a £160 charge to do so. I can also confirm that we would not look to terminate your contract based on the location of your master socket.

That being said, we can certainly run diagnostics and testing to determine the cause of the drops and lower speed.

Please let us know how you get on. -Owen

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

@OskarPapa
I cant be asked with that its too much headache running power extension lead across the room and placing the router on the window sill which can get knocked over and bandwidth going out the window. They should make a lead a longer adsl lead which doesnt lose signal or the system hardware should be set up not to lose connection.
Excellent!
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Manny7860 

I agree with you in the fact that equipment should be made more user friendly - I've been saying it myself for ages, however,  I'm afraid at the moment in time we can only work with what we have got. 

I must please ask you to attempt the steps that @OskarPapa adviser above and let us know how you get on. 

I am sorry if this is a bit of a laborious task, but we really do need to know the results once set up in this way. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro

Problem is i need direct connection to the master socket with standard adsl lead. I have no fault so no need to plug into the test socket. Im reaching minimum speeds anyway. Thanks for helping.
Excellent!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet