cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed decreasing throughout the day

Myfanwy365

Fibre speed decreasing throughout the day

Hi,

I moved house about 5 weeks ago, had my Fibre Account switched over to the property on the 17th September.

Ever since that date i've had an odd pattern to my speed, generally 17Mbps at 6am when I leave for work, 6/7Mbps at 5:30pm when I return, at 9pm it's barely 2Mbps. Day in, day out this is the situation.

Example shown below, all using the SpeedTest app on my phone. Have checked using wired connection on my laptop with the same results

VRhpzWC

Have done a BTW test & further diagnostics, results below

22hQLKY

DSL Checker advises I should be able to reach speeds of at least 35Mbps

vulwVwI

If I go to - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

I get the following

Phone exchange:CHESTER CENTRAL

Estimated line speed:40Mb (This may vary between 40Mb and 54.4Mb) - Checked on 2016-08-12 19:38:25

Current line speed:7 Mb

I'm getting slightly frustrated, have raised a query with support. But I can't see any reason why my speed should just drop rapidly throughout the day, it's appalling. Attempting to stream the NFL last week using GamePass & couldn't even watch on 360p without it buffering every 30 seconds

Are my settings correct, given i'm paying for Fibre I would imagine to be approaching somewhere over 25-30Mbps, as it is it looks like i've been capped or am being throttled in some way

Help???

6 REPLIES 6
bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Fibre speed decreasing throughout the day

This may not be relevant, but do you have your firewall turned on at the server end? (I don't mean the one inside the router, I mean the one you see at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall&firewallPage=advanced ) If not, try turning it up to Max. It may be that there is a lot of unwanted traffic burning up your line capacity before it eventually gets blocked at your end by the router.

Myfanwy365

It was set to Off, i've never touched it. Set it to High now.

Will restart router, wait a minute then try again

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Your IP profile of 17.97 mbps seems low compared to the estimates provided by the DSL checker.

What router are you using?

If it is a Hub One, can you log into the hub at 192.168.1.254

Go to Troubleshooting -> Helpdesk.  What is reported for:

Data Rate

Noise Margin

Line Attenuation

Is your router connected to a filtered master BT socket, or are you using microfilters on a telephone extension?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Myfanwy365

Hi, Yes it is a Hub One

6. Data rate: 2000 / 18878
7. Maximum data rate: 3009 / 19080
8. Noise margin: 7.3 / 6.2
9. Line attenuation: 33.6 / 22.6
10. Signal attenuation: 20.5 / 18.3

I have the hub plugged in to what I presume is my master socket, it's not an NTE5 however. Just looks like a normal phone socket, the one closest to my door. Have tried a number of sockets with the same results.

I am using a microfilter as well

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Okay, forget my firewall suggestion, turns out that's a red herring. Your line quality is poor. There is noise on the line that is varying through the day, and the first thing that springs to mind is that it is caused by crosstalk from other fibre users connected through adjacent cores of the same cable under the road back to the cabinet. The more your neighbours use their broadband, the more of their signals leak across into your wires and the harder it is for the equipment connected to your line to make out your signal from the background chatter.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The low 'Data rate' is not being caused by an excessively high noise margin.  It is still less than the estimated 20 mbps impacted rate quoted by the DSL checker.  I think the next step is to report the problem to Plusnet.

http://faults.plus.net/

Hopefully an engineer will fit a new NTE5 master socket (and filtered face plate) too.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-