Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed decreased

creepyg
Hooked

Fibre speed decreased

Evening all.

Looking for some help with this please. Took out fibre in 2014 and all has been good until the past few months. Speed has dropped right down to less than half what i was getting before. Nothing has changed at my end, same router (TP Link WDR3600), same devices.

I was getting 65+ Mbps over wireless and high 70's wired but this is now anywhere between 20 and 28 Mbps.

BT wholesale results:-

Download 28.25

Upload 10.56

Ping 32.13

Diagnostic:-

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
  28.25 Mbps

0 Mbps 29.31 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 28.25 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20.52 Mbps-29.31 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 29.31 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  10.56 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 10.56Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Line Speed:-

Phone exchange:BLANTYRE

Estimated line speed:78Mb (This may vary between 59.5Mb and 78.2Mb) - Checked on 2016-09-11 21:56:47

Current line speed:21 Mb

Looks like something isn't right. Any ideas please? Anybody from Plusnet able to help please?

Thanks!

Graeme

Edit:- just to point out that the BT test was done using a wired connection to eliminate any Wi-Fi issues.

16 REPLIES 16
amcclean
Rising Star

Re: Fibre speed decreased

Just down the road in Cams'lang normally on 35 now getting 4 to 6.

Just read in thinkbroadband that PN are currently moving us all onto a cheaper network and these speed drops have been hitting lot's of people.

Let's hope it's temporary.

podman

creepyg
Hooked

Here's hoping. Be interesting to see what Plusnet's take on this is....

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

What are your sync speeds though? BTW tests especially via wireless are notoriously inconsistent.

Re the new network, whilst there have been people with issues, it seems to depend on the area, and its actually a significant investment from PN, not a cheaper version. I have had no issues, as I am sure many others have had, but if you are in the wrong area, it may be the problem. 

robinm
Hooked

Here (Derbyshire) download speed has dropped from an average of 25Mbps to around 18, as measured by thinkbroadband, over the last 2 to 3 weeks. I have complained and been told that the profile has been / will be reset, then to reboot my router and Openreach modem. No change. The chatline is often unavailable and the phone waiting times when I've tried exceed 30 minutes. Plusnet say that 'a very small number of customers' have been affected by their 'planned' network migration. Don't think so. Customer service seems, anecdotally, to be burying its head in the sand. I renewed the FTTC contract in August, as the service up to then had been pretty reliable and stable. I may be going elsewhere unless the situation improves soon. If I do, I will ask for no penalties to be applied, as I feel that they are currently, at best, mis-representing their ability to deliver, if not actually mis-selling.
MUFFiN
Grafter

I find myself in the same situation. I used to get 32mbps down and 6/7mbps up when I first joined PN about 17 months ago.

My speeds recently dropped to 25mbps (max) and about 4.15mpbs up. These drops started with the packet loss issue about 2 weeks ago, whilst most (but not all) of my packet loss issue has settled down a bit, my speeds have not went back up.

I submitted a ticket, as suggested by twitter and live chat agents, over a week ago. I finally got a response yesterday to say that to fix my issues I need to arrange for an engineer to come out and have a look. They also said a £50 charge may occur if it turns out to be a problem with internal wiring or equipment, even though nothing has been touched on my end, the blame clearly lies with PN and they couldn't give 2 hoots about their customers.

To top it all off, they sent me a text message today about phoning me arrange me "signing up to a new deal". They must be joking, anyone who has had the trouble that I have had over the past few weeks would need to see a doctor if they were stupid enough to even consider signing up & getting tied down to a new contract.

amcclean
Rising Star

There once was a time when a member of PN staff would have picked up this comment and replied to it pretty quickly offering support and advice.

I hope you get things sorted.

podman 

creepyg
Hooked

Yep... That's what I thought too. Raised a fault ticket anyway, so we'll see how that goes.
creepyg
Hooked

Well....

Got a call from an Openreach engineer this morning, guess he's in the area anyway as they've been doing some work on the cabinets. This prompted me to check the ticket I'd raised and Plusnet have advised they've found a fault.

He's having a look now so we'll see what's what...

creepyg
Hooked

Openreach engineer has been and gone. He suspects an issue with the cabling underground so needs to get someone else out to have a look. 

So no quick fix sadly but at least the wheels are in motion!

creepyg
Hooked

Further wee update...

Wife filled me in on the engineer's visit. He's fitted a new socket as the old one was apparently outdated and recommended we try to get a new up-to-date openreach modem.

He still thinks the main problem lies with the underground cabling, no further word on this yet.

Some good news though. Speed has increased for now but engineer warned it will likely be intermittent throughout the rest of the day. Still not up to usual speeds either.

Any ideas about where's best to get a new openreach modem? Was under the impression they were being phased out?

Edit:- as he warned, speed back down to problem levels.... Was nice while it lasted!
dnpark38
Rising Star

The current issue router from Plusnet does the work of both the modem and router you have.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
creepyg
Hooked

Thanks. I saw that whilst perusing their site. Looks like BT's home hub.
Wonder if Plusnet would sling a nice shiny new router my way....
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@creepyg

yes they will willing throw one your direction if

1. You have recontracted in the last 3 months for P&P of £6.99
  2. You re-contract for 18/24 months and pay P&P of £6.99
  3. Buy one for £100

Notes:

1. guarantee on device is 12 months.
  2. It is a rebadge BT Home Hub 5 Type A
  3. You can buy a HH5 for £25 on a well known auction site

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
robinm
Hooked

Update for my situation:

1) Plusnet member centre:

Phone exchange:
GLOSSOP
Estimated line speed:
30Mb (This may vary between 22.4Mb and 30.7Mb) - Checked on 2016-09-21 10:26:22
Current line speed:
28 Mb

-----------

2) Thinkbroadband this am:

My Broadband Speed Test

-----------

3) Email from Plusnet Support (23 Sept @ 02:22):

The order we placed to change your upload speed has completed. (Note - sorry, what order?)
Your upload speed is now 2Mbit/s.

----------

So, that more or less agrees with thinkbroadband in both cases.
But why have they decreased the upload with the download back in range? Does anyone have a clue?

I also see that PN are starting to offer the BT Home Hub 5 (albeit rebadged). Bargepole & 6 foot long comes to mind. I have the Openreach modem coupled with a latest generation Apple Airport Extreme. I have usually had poor results with ISP-supplied routers, hence this set-up, which happily supports an average of 12 connections.