cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed - From 76MB+ on Infinity to ~20MB on Plusnet

heskethm

Fibre speed - From 76MB+ on Infinity to ~20MB on Plusnet

Hi guys,
I switched from BT Infinity 2 (76MB) to Plusnet (38MB) yesterday. My line has always been capable of reaching or exceeding the 76MB, and was estimated to reach up to 40MB on the new plusnet service.
However on activation speedtest.net shows my line hitting just under 21MB
Some test results:

and

Is a profile switch needed from Plusnet's end? Could someone please look into this.
Many thanks
14 REPLIES 14
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre speed - From 76MB+ on Infinity to ~20MB on Plusnet

Yes, you just need Plusnet to update the profile (Current line speed as they call it), you could try online chat via the help page: http://www.plus.net/help/broadband/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Looking at them test results you are on the 40Mbs/2Mbs package, you won't never get much above 30Mbs  but you should do better than 21Mbs, might need a profile nudge from plusnets end.
heskethm

Thanks. I'll get in touch with Plusnet directly once I'm back from work when I have access to the router. Hopefully they'll see this thread before that though.
Plusnet's own page says the line should be 40mb (varying between 66.1Mb and 80Mb). I know the line is capable of much more as I was hitting 76MB+ on my old service consistently for over 2 years, so an arbitrarily capped 38Mb service should not be an issue.
w23
Pro

Quote from: Den1
...you won't never get much above 30Mbs...
I manage to get actual speeds of over 37Mb/s on Plusnet '40Mb/s' (or '38Mb/'s depending on how you define the service).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I also get about 37 or 38 Mbps on that service.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Should be fixed in the next 15 minutes.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
heskethm

Hi Matthew,
Thanks a lot for this. I can see the current line speed is now 37MB in my member centre. I'll restart my router etc once I am home from work.
Thanks again.
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Quote from: jafreer
I also get about 37 or 38 Mbps on that service.

Same here.
heskethm

Hi all,
All fixed now. Restarted the router this morning and speedtest.net clocking at 37.5MB.
Thanks Matthew, and everyone else for your replies.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The upload speed test result is weird for someone on 40/2!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro

If you mean the graphic in the OP, check the download too.
Call me 'w23'
heskethm

Sorry yeah, that screenshot was from when I was at work (but with my home phone in etc). I included it for the line profile information, intending to update to a home test when I got home but thankfully Plusnet stepped in before that. I was getting 21mb when testing from home.
As of today over the wifi:

So much better than before. On the ethernet speedtest.net reads 37.5mb so I'm happy with that as its what I expected from the service.
w23
Pro

Thanks for explaining.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: spoon
The upload speed test result is weird for someone on 40/2!

I saw exactly the same speeds when I first got FTTC (80meg). From memory, somehow my line was provisioned as a DSL migration and capped on an ADSL2+ 20 meg profile, which seemed to allow up to around a meg and a half upstream. They reapplied the correct fibre profile and all was well after a modem reboot. Seems exactly the same thing happened here.