cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre slowed right down.

Porksley
Dabbler

Fibre slowed right down.

When I first moved to fibre, I was getting 40mps. Now I'm only getting 15mps. Can't check with a wired connection. Any  thing I can do?

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Fibre slowed right down.

It could be a wireless issue so try the following:

1. Get an app such as WiFi Analyser on your phone and use it to make sure that you do not have a conflicting neighbours transmission on the same frequency. Check both at the location of your router and where you use your mobile devices. If there is a strong signal neighbour's signal on the channel you are using then go into the router advanced wireless properties and manually select a clearer channel.

2. Separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands by again going into the advanced wireless properties in your router, select the 5GHz tab, click on the button that asks is you want to sync with the 2.4GHz band to remove the sync then rename the 5GHz band by adding 5 after the SSID. You then can try both bands (providing your mobile device supports 5GHz) to find the best.

If this fails then I'm afraid that you are going to have to report a fault. Can you not borrow a laptop or netbook of some sort to go through the proper wired test procedure from the master socket and hence avoid the risk of a £65 false call out charge?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Fibre slowed right down.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems @Porksley

Our tests are finding a loop condition, which is basically like a short circuit somewhere. This type of issue is usually caused by equipment or internal wiring connected to your phone line.

Can you run through the steps here and let us know how you get on? -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet