cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre slowdown

shantikris
Dabbler

Fibre slowdown

So my fibre speed has been averaging around 63mb for the past few days now. I had been getting a solid 70-73mb since I signed up in July last year. I carried out a BT speed test and it shows my ip profile as 65.74 Mbps, which is a lot lower than it used to be.
Can someone take a look at my line and see what's going on? Quite disappointing to see a 10mb drop in speed all of a sudden.
12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre slowdown

Hi shantikris,
Checks aren't showing anything obvious I'm afraid.
As those speeds are over the current 60mb downstream estimate for your line we wouldn't be able to report this with our suppliers.
Were you connected over WiFi when you tested by the way? if not it would definitely be worth testing the speeds over ethernet.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shantikris
Dabbler

I was connected through ethernet. Do you know why I am getting a 60mb downstream estimate? As I said, I was getting a solid 70mb+ since I signed up...then all of a sudden my estimate is 60mb?
dick:quote
daz1107
Grafter

I'm in the same position mate - I had an IP profile of 40 for over 6 months, then in the last week or so, it has reduced to 36.  No idea why!
I have raised a fault though as my speeds have been very erratic, even as low as 4mbps.
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I had a solid 80ds synch until Friday. Had it for about 4 months. Dropped to 69 now. Strangely enough an Openreach guy tested my line last Saturday saying it would actually support in excess of 90 and was totally clean. Have also been having big slowdowns during peak times. Added the info to my ticket.
adream
Dabbler

Exactly the same here, had faultless high 72+ mbs since april last year.... and now its dropped to a steady 58, and a doubling of ping times too..
shantikris
Dabbler

Glad I'm not the only one...I thought a sudden 10mb drop was strange. Can the mods explain the reason for the ip profile downgrade? I had no problems up until now.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The Mods are customers not Plusnet staff.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
adjok

Also noticing this - around a 10-16Mb/s drop in download speed since Friday morning at ~6am, and as adream stated, higher ping times than normal. Typically stable at ~74Mb/s down, ~18Mb/s up
Connected via ethernet. Gateway hopped twice today, currently on ptw-ag04.
adream
Dabbler

@adjok
If you have the time, can you tell us how you got the info "ptw-ag04" and what it means. cheers
adjok

Quote from: adream
@adjok
If you can [Censored] can you tell us how you got the info "ptw-ag04" and what it means. cheers

Sure.
You can see what gateway you're connected to here - I've seen others suggest switching gateways if there's some connection issues, though it didn't appear to work for me. You can switch gateways by logging into the routers administation panel, and then disconnecting from the current session and connecting again. a list of gateways is available here: http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml#customerNumb... (though, you're assigned a random gateway)
adream
Dabbler

great, many thanks for that info..
I haven't seen a link to that user tools page in my plusnet dash board, might have been udeful !
thanks again
for our reference i'm on pcl-bng03
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

That's interesting my ds synch was knocked down Friday morning 1st thing too.