cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre - slow web browser

morgan2476
Grafter

Fibre - slow web browser

Ever since I got fibre my web browsers are very slow.  Speedtest has shown there is an improvement in connection speed, but my web browsers are like walking through tar.

9 REPLIES 9
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Fibre - slow web browser

Which browsers are you using, and are there any extensions involved?

Might be worth clearing your cache and cookies, and letting CCleaner do it's job (if you're happy to use it).

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
hippychippy

Same here.

Looking up my homepage and delivering subsequent webpages takes way too long - like wading through treacle!  Once there downloading a large .pdf or whatever is pretty nippy and the BT Wholesale speed checker reports a good connection speed, but my old telephone wire connection was 2-3 times faster at looking up and delivering websites!

Firefox 47.01

Cache & cookies regularly cleaned out with CC.

AdBlock Plus - Ghostery - NoScript enabled

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If you're using Plusnet's DNS, you could give OpenDNS a try. It should speed up DNS lookups by a bit. You should be able to change it for your device or if you do it at Router level, it should effect all of your devices connected to it.

Adblock Plus is quite resource heavy, uBlock Origin is much more lighter as well.

I don't think you can change the DNS on the Plusnet Hub (I personally don't have one for my fibre connection and use a third party router), but it was possible on the older TG582N through Telnet. Yep, to my guess, DNS is locked down to Plusnet on the Hub One.

I am currently browsing the web and I personally find webpages load fast, less than second for me to count (over wifi on my laptop). My ping is around 11ms to bbc.co.uk.

hippychippy

Thanks for your handy suggestions Riza, I was wondering about an alternative DNS lookup, and will check out uBlock too but...

I've just found and dusted off Internet Explorer.exe  on my PC... and it's lightning fast compared to Firefox and looks up my homepage (ixquick) in an instant!  Hmmmm : (

Riza
Rising Star

Well on my old netbook which I had thrown away, Internet Explorer was lightning fast compared to Firefox and Chrome.

Still is on my desktop. I'd guess our third party browsers are just more resource heavy now Embarrassed IE does support AdBlock Plus Smiley

I'm currently testing out Opera as it has this "hyped" battery saver feature but not so sure that I am getting any extra browsing time; with it being based on Chrome, I'd guess it's resource heavy as well. If your PC is 64bit, Waterfox is a good alternative for Firefox since it's built with the Intel compiler for 64bit.

hippychippy

Thanks Riza.

Much food for thought in the last few posts, though I still don't understand why Firefox's 'lookup' performance was quite acceptable on my old line, but has gone to rats since the fancy new fibre.  Progress eh? Smiley 

Andrue
Pro

In general things have been fine for me but I was unable to reach this forum about an hour ago. My TBBQM shows a problem at that time (20:30) but my router says my PPP session has been up for nearly 76 days.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

One thing to try is clearing the Firefox cached pages.

If one browser is much faster than another on the same pages, one cause I have found is something in the browser's cache that doesn't resolve properly and the browser waits for a timeout.

losthero

If u want to stay with the likes of firefox u cud try Palemoon its alot faster than firefox yet its a branch off from firefox as it been optimised https://www.palemoon.org