cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre slow after "upgrade"

akeegan90
Grafter

Fibre slow after "upgrade"

I had the standard fibre package (36mbps) and was getting a healthy 35.2 down and 8.96 up, I was out of term so upgraded to fibre extra package (72 mbps). My minimum guaranteed speed is 55.9 and I'm currently only getting around 45.
After having such a good speed with standard fibre (35.2/36 down and 8.96/10 up) I am disappointed to only be getting the slow speeds I am when in honesty I would have expected around 70 based on my previous package.

Even my ping seems unusually high, I was getting around 16ms on standard fibre, after the upgrade it has shot up to around 30ms.

Why has my connection gone so bad after upgrading?Huh
10 REPLIES 10
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Fibre slow after "upgrade"

Hi @akeegan90,

I'm sorry that your speed hasn't increased as much as it should following your upgrade to fibre and that your ping is higher than usual.

I've tested your line and can see that it's currently syncing at 59.1mbps, which is below your line's estimated speed of 67 - 80mbps. The test hasn't picked up the cause of this from here so we'll need to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out. I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket.

Please let us know if your connection doesn't improve once you've been through the troubleshooting.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
akeegan90
Grafter

Hi Emily,

In honesty I'm a little hesitant to even try your diagnostic checks, nothing has changed my side, I haven't disconnected anything or moved anything. I have an asus router as I had problems with the hub one. The problem started only when I upgraded and I haven't made a single change to my hardware except resetting it in the hope that it would fix the problem.

It can only be an issue which is outside of my property.
akeegan90
Grafter

By all means I'm happy to do speed checks and post my results, but there simply can be no issues with my wiring as mentioned before, nothing has changed with my setup at all.
akeegan90
Grafter

Hi Emily,

I've now tried all of the suggested methods and plugged straight into the master and the speeds didn't change, I got the following:

Download: 46.76mbps
Upload: 10.96mbps
Latency: 24ms

So none of the above has made any changes to my connection.
KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @akeegan90

I am sorry to read that the problem is still ongoing.

I have now changed some settings on your account, to try and fix this issue.

Could you please run a speed test over the next 24 hours, on a wired connection and update the results either here or on the ticket I have created on your account? You can access the ticket by using this link.

Should you need anything in the meantime, please do let us know!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
akeegan90
Grafter

Hi Katie,

Just done a test and the results are:

48.75 down
9.14 up
32 ping

Every time I run a speed test the results still vary between 45 and 50 down and between 6 and 14 up.
KatieC
Pro

Thank you for your time on the phone.

As discussed, I'll complete some further testing and be in touch to discuss this further.

Please let us know if you need anything in the meantime!

Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
akeegan90
Grafter

Hi Katie,

I just found in my router settings that after updating the firmware, it had activated a bandwidth limited (QoS it was called).

I did a speed test after turning this off and got exactly 50mbps down and exactly 15mbps up.

Still not what I was hoping for but slightly improved?

EDIT: upon a further couple of tests it seems to still be fluctuating 😔
akeegan90
Grafter

Apologies for all the messages, I have just found some information in my router DSL log which has the following information.

Data Rate

60076 kbps Download

17808 kbps Upload

Max Rate

88476 kbps Download

17879 kbps Upload

So it doesn't seem like my router is even reaching the speeds it should
KatieC
Pro

Hi @akeegan90

Thanks for the update.

I asked my colleague Tony to look over this and he has provided an update to the ticket on your account.

We are working with our suppliers to resolve this for you and will be in touch with a further update.

Should you need anything in the meantime, please do let us know!

Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team