cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre router

jaseace1978
Grafter

Fibre router

Apologies if this seems like an obvious question but having had Plusnet fibre installed for a number of years now, and having the BT openreach fibre router (Huawei 612) alongside my current Netgear WDN3700 WiFi router, I'm wanting to know whether I can get rid of the BT fibre router and just purchase something which effectively does both things at once as I'm wanting to free up socket space. Do the likes of the homehub only require the one router box for fibre.
7 REPLIES 7
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Fibre router

@jaseace1978 

PlusNet are happy for you to use your own equipment and provide the settings required in their Help pages.

The PlusNet supplied router is a rebadged BT HH5. You can get a HH6 cheaply on eBay and use that (settings can be found on the Forum).

Otherwise any modem / router that supports VDSL can be used.

Brian

jaseace1978
Grafter

So basically any VDSL router would mean I could ditch the BT openreach fibre router so I'd only need to use one unit rather than my current two?
bmc
Hero

@jaseace1978 

Yes, any VDSL modem / router can be used - but it must be a combined unit unlike your current NetGear box which appears to be a Router only.

Did PlusNet send you a HubOne router when you signed up to Fibre - you can check PlusNet boxes here

www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

If they did, you can use that but the WiFi is not great (apparently).

Brian

jaseace1978
Grafter

No I was never sent a hub one, when I first signed up for fibre many years ago I got one of the modems they were giving it at the time, can't remember the name of it but it wasn't great which is why I bought the Netgear and combined that with the supplied openreach one but like I say I just want a combined one now so I'm only using one. Thanks
bmc
Hero

@jaseace1978 

PlusNet settings can be found at

www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

It's just a case of finding a unit that meets your needs / price range. As mentioned you can get a BT HH6 on eBay for around £20-30 - just make sure you get the FTTC (VDSL) unit and not the FTTP one. There's a guide on here somewhere on how to set it up.

You might even find a newer BT SmartHub2 available though I can't remember if that can be uses with PlusNet

Brian

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

The BT Smart Hub2 also works on Plus net

Post 41 here shows how to set up a BT Hub

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/m-p/1415464#M312705

Do not connect the DSL cable into phone socket until you have put your username@plusdsl.net  and password  into the settings.

Remember that the BT hubs do not like  characters such as @£%^&*()_+= . etc in the password so change it prior to connecting.

Bakdrick1 also has a set up guide here

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

@bmc 

That's a very timely link, thank you, as I'm about to set up a new combined modem/router.😀