cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre router refusing to connect to open reach modem.

Dovelander

Fibre router refusing to connect to open reach modem.

Hi all,
Had fibre for a few weeks and all working well till today. Had replaced the original plusnet router with an assus model recommended on here. This morning the router stopped connecting, showing no internet access, still able to log in to router fine.  I tried resetting up the router to no avail. I then put the original plusnet router back in which initially worked but after an hour or so same situation. I have spoken to someone onl the phone and tried restarting the modem and router several  times but same problem. Checked the login username and password is correct. Also tried reset on modem.  Direct connection of laptop to modem also failed to connect.  Lady on phone quoted 72 hours for a response from fault team which will be a major problem for my work.
Any other bright ideas?  My assumption is this is a problem with the modem although all of power, dsl lights are on green.
11 REPLIES 11
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Fibre router refusing to connect to open reach modem.

It does sound like an OR modem issue, I guess you have tried a different Ethernet cable between the modem/router.
Dovelander

Hi, yes I've tried various cables. Any merit in just ordering a substitute modem??  I have visions of being offline for an age waiting for the fault to be dealt with.
Dovelander

Bizarrely, now after 8 hours of nothing it has randomly started working again, without intervention.  Hard to believe it will stay that way but fingers crossed.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Dovelander
Just let us know via here if that becomes a problem again and we can arrange a replacement.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Dovelander

Hi Adam,
Many thanks.  Last night having seen no issues I thought as an experiment to see if things were back to normal I would switch off the router and see how it got on reconnecting.  Unfortunately exactly the same thing happened, it just wouldn't reconnect.  Having left it trying all night it is back on this morning.  There seems to be some issue whereby it takes several hours for the router to be able to detect the internet from the modem.  During the time that it wont connect I have tried other routers that I know to work which just say they cannot detect the output from the modem.
Now you might say just don't turn the router off!  Whilst this wont be a frequent occurrence I don't see any reason why it shouldn't just reconnect more or less immediately, this implies an issue with the modem, especially as connecting direct laptop to modem via cable was also not possible.  Line tests even during the issue have also been fine.
So..  I would be keen to take you up on the offer of trying a replacement modem, happy to consider any other suggestions.
Cheers,
Andy.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

how are you switching off? are you doing a graceful disconnect in the router before switching off or just pulling the plug out of the wall?
If it's the latter then there could well be a stale session left hanging around which can take a long time to clear or indeed need manual intervention.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dovelander

Hi,
I just switched off using the power button on the back of the router.  Could this be a problem?  It never caused any issues before my original post or when I was on ADSL.  Is it worth logging off on the router interface before switching off as a trial?Huh
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It's arguably better to 'disconnect' via the router interface, this ensures that the current PPP session is properly closed so preventing issues with a 'stale session'.
Since it hasn't been mentioned, can you confirm you're entering your username in the router's internet connection settings in the format 'yourusername'@plusdsl.net ?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Dovelander

Hi,
Yes the username is correct, I've checked that a few times.  I'll try disconnecting via the interface.  I must say I'm sceptical that this is the problem, if that were the case i would expect that I would be able to still connect via a direct laptop to modem connection with an ethernet cable.  this has always failed too when the router has been unable to connect, which I interpret as suggesting a primary problem with the modem.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

A stale session would block any connection attempts, not just the same router. Not suggesting that is the issue but is a possibility.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dovelander

Thanks, I'll give that a go.