Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre router & powerline adapters

Stu9560
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fibre router & powerline adapters

Greetings

Currently on ADSL, have placed order for fibre and expect connection in a week. My desktop has no wifi so I use powerline adapters. Had them for years, no idea of the manufacturer but it says 85M PLC on the casing, specs say PLC rate 85Mbps.

Manual is here: http://www.iplink.com.tw/download/files/PLC/IP-PWE-85M%20USER%20MANUAL.pdf

Will these do when my fibre arrives? If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fibre router & powerline adapters

To a large extent it depends on which product you ordered and the expected speed

If it is fibre (up to 40Mb/s) it may just cope but if it is Fibre Extra (up to 80Mb/s) then you would just need to see what speeds you actually get and whether the reduction from sync is acceptable or not

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I had a set of 100Mbps powerline adaptors when I was previously on fibre and found these actually slowed my throughput down until I upgraded to a 500Mbps set. No such worry now on my 7Mb ADSL line Cry

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

My experience is that 85s are not fast enough on my 40/20 fibre connection and I run a mixture of 200av and 500av together quiet happily. In effect I run two 500s at the router and at the media centre where I have my PN Youview box, Sky box and Blu-ray player. Then upstairs I have two 200av units one for my desktop and one for a smart TV. It should be noted that the 200s and 500s work happily together but won't communicate with the 85s but the 85s still work together on the same circuitThumbs_Up

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Just thought of something else- we've got a large house with a complex wiring system I find the 500s difficult to synchronise in the far reaches of the house but the 200s much better at staying synced
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Stu9560
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks guys. It's ordinary fibre that I've ordered.

I'm guessing that the current adapters may not have the grunt for fibre so the plan is to check the speed when the line is activated and see what I get. But it looks like an upgrade would be sensible.

stewakeman
Grafter

You'll probably be alright with upgraded ones but based on my own experience I was left somewhat disappointed. I have Fibre Extra and when I got it I upgraded a set of TP-LINK 200Mb powerline adapters to Netgear 1200Mb with Gigabit port (the last bit being the biggest con of this technology going). 

I was getting the sync speed of around 72Mb down and 19Mb up fairly reliably but every now and then the adapters would lose connection with one another. They would connect again in a matter of seconds and, at most, under a minute but it was still quite disruptive. Without testing I couldn't tell if it was the powerline set or something amiss with the gigabit port on the Hub One.

I've since switched to a cheap Edimax AC600 wifi dongle which cost less than 15 quid and gives me my full sync speed without any disconnects.