cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre results at new property. FFTP WBC.

krs360
Grafter

Fibre results at new property. FFTP WBC.

Hello all,

I currently have FTTC at my property, I'm moving in the next couple of weeks and the checker says WBC FTTP - Waiting list. There is no FTTC and the actual broadband speeds are awful compared to the current speed at this address.

Can anyone shed some light on what this actually means and if there's somewhere I can check which providers are able to provide FFTP as I'm super reluctant to drop down to 1/4 of my current speed (or less).

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP Install Process

WBC FTTP Up to 1000 Up to 220 -- Waiting list --  

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available --  
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available --  
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available --  
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --  
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --  

Other Offerings

Availability Date

ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available --
12 REPLIES 12
krs360
Grafter

Re: Fibre results at new property. FFTP WBC.

Nevermind, managed to speak to someone in the customer options team. Just a heads up for other users.

PN don't offer FFTP as a business or residential service. They can't offer anything more than a 1mbit upload speed at the new property. The end result is because they can provide a service at the new property I'll get held to term even if the service is a fraction of the speed I get now - 1/20th of the upload speed. To avoid the ETC I need to move house, agree to another 12 month contract and then change provider when FTTP becomes available. Yikes.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

@krs360 

Your best bet is probably to take the cancellation hit now and leave Plusnet. It is rumoured that Sky intend to introduce a competitively priced FTTP product later this year. If this happens they may be the cheapest FTTP service provider around. It might be worth talking to them. If you started on their ADSL service you should get an upgrade path to FTTP. The downside is that this will not get you on to the FTTP waiting list. I assume that to get on this list you will need to go with one of the organisations that already have a FTTP service. See https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages/fttp-broadband

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

krs360
Grafter

Hi, thanks for the reply. Never been at an address where FTTP was due or available.

I don't quite understand how the waiting list works? Does it mean that it's not available in my area and the line/exchange is on the OR waiting list to be upgraded or it is available and I have to join a waiting list?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

Does it matter? The bottom line is that there maybe limited availability at the moment and you have to wait for either someone to leave or for additional capacity to be installed. Alternatively if it means that it is not currently available then if there is a waiting list then it won’t be far away, which is no different than to be waiting for more capacity.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@krs360 

"Waiting List" suggests the FTTP infrastructure is in place but some thing is holding up orders.

If your new house is supplied by an overhead wire look at the OpenReach pole. If FTTP is in place it'll have a DP (Distribution Point) attached near the top.

If it's underground then there's no visible sign.

Brian

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@krs360 

You're going to take a speed hit when you move house until FTTP is available. The choice is as follows.

Stick with PlusNet until you can order FTTP and take the termination charge then. This would allow you to choose your new ISP at the time of order. As mentioned, Sky are expected to launch a FTTP service by the year end but this is not guaranteed. BT and Zen are the other main players with FTTP services plus there are other smaller ISP's.

Choose your new ISP now and terminate PlusNet at the time of your move.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Hi @krs360 thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to see we're unable to provide you with a fibre service at your new address. It'd be disappointing to see you leave but I appreciate that it'd be a big-ish speed drop to go down to standard broadband. Sad

I've discussed this with a manager and as we are able to provide a service at your new address albeit not the one you want I'm afraid that any early termination charges will stand if you leave within the agreed contract term.

My own opinion is that as FTTP doesn't appear to be currently available, whatever you do you're likely going to experience a significant drop in speed, so it may be best to stay with us and when FTTP becomes available hopefully in the not too distant future, the early termination charge of your contract unless you renew will be less than it is now.

If you'd like to query the availability of FTTP with regards to a timeframe when it'll be available I'd recommend contacting Openreach through this formwize: https://www.formwize.openreach.co.uk/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0f0e09 This should open an email dialogue between yourself and Openreach when they get back to you.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
krs360
Grafter

Hello @Gandalf Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.

Unfortunately the property I live in is being done up and will be leased as a holiday let so it's a forced move and this is a place that I can move into on relatively short notice. Sadly the speeds are leaving a lot to be desired, mostly the upload speed. I do some work from home and it's web dev/content creation stuff so some of the files can be quite large.

I think that this policy needs to be looked at by all ISPS and a common sense approach taken. Especially in light of plus.net who don't even offer FTTP so it's not like I can home home with you and then try and get FTTP it's just a "we don't do it" and this sucks for the consumers who don't have fibre because OR are pushing FTTP over FTTC (after speaking to an engineer who's a friend). Not everyone's use case is the same, some people need decent upload speeds and when a service falls below a certain speed compared to what you've been receiving at the previous property there needs to be a approach taken where you aren't forcing people into new contracts or being held to term when you can provide a much inferior service which is almost priced as much as the fibre.

This isn't a dig at you so don't take it as such. The lack of offering FTTP and understanding my situation in that my upload speed of 1mbit vs the neigh on 20 I get now is just a joke.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @krs360 thanks for getting back to me. I'm happy to pass feedback on about holding to term when moving home if we're able to provide a service at the new address but not a like for like service, and I'll let you know if the decision changes.

However I think the main issue is that while I understand that we've closed our FTTP trial in July 2018 and I hope that we bring out a full product in the not too distant future(I've no plans to share regarding if or when that will happen), FTTP isn't currently available at your new address due to a capacity issue. Sad The team you contact via the formwize I've linked above might be able to provide more insight into what the issue specifically is and when they'd reckon capacity will be restored.

It'd again be really disappointing to see you leave, especially since(and if I'm remembering correctly) a couple of years ago I think I helped get you your fibre service you have today, but I understand that you're not voluntarily moving. 

It's possible FTTP won't be available to order for months(or and hopefully not but years) and it appears that the only broadband service available right now is standard broadband unfortunately, so you may ultimately be at the end of your contract term when you are able to order FTTP. Hopefully by then we may be able to start providing the service again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
benfphillips
Grafter

Had a message from a mod, seems like I was logged in from an account I used to use when staying with my mum temporarily and chrome had auto logged this account in. Oops.

Yeah, I've always found you and Anoush very helpful, particularity when it came to getting fibre at this address. BT turned it on to order, let me place the order and then disabled it :D. The regrade went through but the speeds still stayed the same. Was a bit of a crazy time but the support via the forums is honestly the reason I'd been with plus.net for as long as I can remember.

Leaving plus.net isn't something I'm doing because I'm unhappy as such I'm leaving out of necessity based around the information available to me at this point. I appreciate you can't divulge information that isn't already public on a public forum, however the unknowing of whether or not you'll offer FTTP when it's available is also part of my reason for leaving. Trust me I'd rather not be lumped with the ETC as I already have to pay £70 for a new line at the new place, plus it'll be another £50 activation when FTTP is enabled. I'm also having to pay more on a monthly basis because I opted for an ISP which offers a month to month contract to tide me over until FTTP.

I won't go into the ins and outs of my personal life but for work, and the fact I spend a lot of time inside means the internet speed is probably more important to me than most other people.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Had a message from a mod, seems like I was logged in from an account I used to use when staying with my mum temporarily and chrome had auto logged this account in. Oops.

Oopsies!

Yeah, I've always found you and Anoush very helpful, particularity when it came to getting fibre at this address. BT turned it on to order, let me place the order and then disabled it Cheesy. The regrade went through but the speeds still stayed the same. Was a bit of a crazy time but the support via the forums is honestly the reason I'd been with plus.net for as long as I can remember.

Yup it was an odd issue and no problem always happy to help, thanks for your kind words.

Anoush & Gandalf are one and the same btw, the name Gandalf is just what I chose for my forum username when I became part of the social media/community team in May 2017 as I'm a big fan of Lord of the Rings.

Leaving plus.net isn't something I'm doing because I'm unhappy as such I'm leaving out of necessity based around the information available to me at this point. I appreciate you can't divulge information that isn't already public on a public forum, however the unknowing of whether or not you'll offer FTTP when it's available is also part of my reason for leaving. Trust me I'd rather not be lumped with the ETC as I already have to pay £70 for a new line at the new place, plus it'll be another £50 activation when FTTP is enabled. I'm also having to pay more on a monthly basis because I opted for an ISP which offers a month to month contract to tide me over until FTTP.

Give me a day or so to see if there's anything I can do and I'll come back to you. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey Ben, I've discussed this with my manager and I've added a reply onto your support ticket you can view and reply to from Here which I hope helps. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet