cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre restarting/losing connection at same time every night?

alphabeta77
Dabbler

Fibre restarting/losing connection at same time every night?

Weird one folks - losing internet connection at the same time every night (7:00-7:30ish).

Any ideas as to cause? Very repeatable, only lose connection briefly and then reconnects fine after around a minute.

I'm wondering if it's something like the IP address being reassigned every 24 hours at the same time or something....?
17 REPLIES 17
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Fibre restarting/losing connection at same time every night?

Hi @alphabeta77

You're absolutely right that the drops occur regularly and that this is indeed an odd one.

The last 30 days of your connection can be seen here.

As you can see not only are there uniform drops at 7pm, but there are also drops regularly at around 6am.

I've tested your line and there are no external faults on your line. Similarly, a static IP would not renew a fashion that would cause those drops.

Do you have anything on a timer within your property? Heating, SKY box, house alarm etc?

When I've dealt with issues like this one before, the drops are normally being caused by another device sending a signal that disrupts your broadband connection.

Does anything spring to mind?

Thanks

Dave

alphabeta77
Dabbler

Hi there,

Have been testing this over the last few months - have spoke with Google WiFi support (using their Google mesh WiFi) and they've pinned down through server logs to using an older router with incompatible protocols.

1) Could I get an updated view of the last 30 days out of interest - just like to see if the timings have shifted at all

2) is it possible to get an updated fibre modem as they've said this is the root cause?

Thanks in advance!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

@alphabeta77 wrote:
Have been testing this over the last few months - have spoke with Google WiFi support (using their Google mesh WiFi) and they've pinned down through server logs to using an older router with incompatible protocols.

On the face of it that doesn't make sense, did they elaborate any further i.e. what protocols?

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
alphabeta77
Dabbler

I think the guy was talking around vlan tagging being incompatible - I can't quite see myself how that impacts, but does seem to be an issue - indeed lots of issues in New Zealand.

Can't see why it'd be erratically resetting though

Any other ideas? I can't see any reliable pattern to the timings
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @alphabeta77,

I have attached a radius below and we can see that drops are still occurring around the same time in the evening. The information my colleague Alisdair has provided  is correct and unfortunately we are limited as to what we could suggest is the cause.

I have arranged for a new router to be sent which will be with you within the next 3 to 5 working days, which hopefully is more compatible with your setup.

Please let us know how you get on.

Connection

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
alphabeta77
Dabbler

Ok, this is bizarre...
Have tried with the Plusnet router and also bought a brand new Netgear Orbi setup and exactly the same thing happens.

I randomly get disconnects around the same time of night.

Are you sure this couldn't be an upstream issue (eg exchange/street cabinet getting hit by too many requests at busy evening time or something like that? )

This is not precise enough for it to be something like a timer based thing, but it appears to roughly correlate to human busy points.

Completely scratching my head here, any ideas welcome as very frustrating!

Only other thought I've had is could having lots of devices cause an overload? We're a tech-heavy household (hue lights everywhere, vr, network storage, multiple phones, laptops etc) - but don't thing it's too heavy (ie 28 devices on my WiFi attached devices list)
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @alphabeta77,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Your drops in connection seem to appear at the same time as before, however, a few more have appeared. As @RandallFlag mentioned in a previous reply, is there any appliances in your house that may be causing this? For instance, heating turning on, TV recording something, baby monitors in neighbouring properties - essentially anything that has a signal that may be used at that time of day.

If not, the next thing to try is get your connection into the test socket, you can find info here and monitor the connection for 24-48 hours and see how you get on.

Thanks.

alphabeta77
Dabbler

Hi Mads,

Thanks for reply - yes have thought about any devices but really struggling to come up with one.

It can't be a timer-based device, otherwise the pattern would be more consistent - ie always a 6pm precisely.

I'd thought of heating/underfloor heating, but obviously it's the summer months now, so that's been off.
It does seem to relate to - post dinner time activity (which discounts kitchen items used pre-dinner)

We've got Amazon fire TV/rokus which could be related at a stretch, but we've seen it happen consistently when they're not being used.
I'm really scratching my head.

The only thing I'd thought was it was some sort of post dinner activity of four people connecting their devices at the same time (eg phones, laptops etc) or one person's device causing a conflict, but I'm not convinced that's possible across three different routers....

The other odd thing is the morning blips also which discount many of the above.

Obviously I've no idea about what devices neighbours use and no way to ascertain that, but we're not living in a terraced house/flat or anything. There's at least 20m to the next house in each direction.

Any other ideas most welcome!
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @alphabeta77 since we are seeing numerous disconnections I would rule out the possibility of other devices dropping and lean more towards investigating the line itself.

Did you manage to connect to the test socket as @Mads advised yesterday?

If there's still drops the next step would be to raise a fault with view to arrange an engineer visit.

You can raise a fault HERE. If you do, be sure to let us know here on this forum thread too and we'll take things further.

alphabeta77
Dabbler

Thanks Optimatts - stupid question, have a Mk3 faceplate that the BT engineer installed when fibre was fitted by plusnet.

There's only an RJ45 test port - do I need to dig out one of those old adsl filters to plug my router RJ11 plug into it?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hey @alphabeta77, you do indeed need an ADSL filter to connect to the test panel.

If it helps you dig one out, we'll have sent a filter in your router package

alphabeta77
Dabbler

Perfect, that's it hooked up.... Look forward to seeing how the connection goes.....!
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Keep us updated @alphabeta77

Thanks, 

MoR

alphabeta77
Dabbler

Hmm, think we're getting the same thing plugged into the test socket - does this discount issues within the house then?